The Thought of being Thought Of

Angela White '17, Staff Editor

I think I can speak on behalf of many students that getting out of bed for school in the morning is extremely difficult. You’re tired and exhausted; and you don’t want to move. You always want “5 more minutes” even though you know you don’t have the time. But after being out of school for a month, and being on bed rest, I can say I hated every minute I was in my bed.

On December 2nd, I got my tonsils and adenoids removed. Because this is a very routine procedure, I was not nervous or scared. I was estimated to be out of school for a week. But due to many complications and health problems, I had to get two more surgeries and my recovery time was prolonged. During the month of December, I was either in a hospital bed or my own bed. An outsider would probably be jealous of someone who gets to be out of school and relax every day. But I was absolutely miserable.

I became very lonely. The only people that I talked to or saw was either my mom, or the staff at the hospital. I always thought of myself as independent, but I never realized how much of an impact other people make on my happiness. Being alone everyday made me realize that human interaction plays a huge role in my overall well-being.

A text from a friend just asking “How are you feeling?” was enough to make my day. It cheered me up knowing someone thought of me and worried about me. Though I do not need anyone’s “pity”, I needed to know my friends and family were there for me.

When I was in the hospital, my two friends, Tori Ruiz and Alyssa D’Ambrosio, surprised me with a visit. They brought me balloons, a card, and a letter that my English teacher, Mrs. Jahn, wrote for me. It meant the absolute world to me. It took away all the pain I was feeling, emotionally and physically. Some of my other friends texted me and visited me when I was home recovery, too. Just the text and extra effort people put in for me when I was sick was enough to keep a smile on my face.

If you have a friend, family member, classmate, or colleague who is sick or in the hospital, they most likely aren’t enjoying being cut off from the real world and everyday things. Being stuck in a hospital bed is not better than being at school. Laying in your bedroom all day everyday gets boring, and it’s not relaxing… especially if you’re sick.

Text your friend. Text your family member. Text your classmate. Text your colleague. Check up on people. It could potentially make someone’s day, and positively change someone’s mood and life. Just a simple, “How are you” was enough to make me feel better. Don’t hesitate to check up on people when they’re sick and going through hard times.