The meaning of work

Casey Spencer '17

It is a well-known fact in life that money does not grow on trees. If it did, everyone would be living a life more luxurious than they are and there would be no cause for people to find and work a job. It is a necessity for some adults to work because it provides the essentials needed in life, but as a teenager in high school, work is often not necessary and is more of a stressful burden.

It is a phrase that is commonly heard that select people want to work some sort of job before they find their actual profession. As a result, they find a job to work while in high school even though they are years away from finding the job they may work in for the rest of their lives. They work for the experience and to have something under their belts for when they go out into the real world.

On the other hand, some students work in high school work primarily for the money aspect of it. They want spending money for when they go out with their friends and to be more independent in their purchasing decisions.

From a parent’s perspective, many want their children to work some sort of job while in high school so they can learn some responsibilities.

However, while having an afterschool job might satisfy some of these concerns, working while in high school may be more troublesome than painless.

Some students who have jobs in high school are the ones that are dependable and do well in school. With honors and AP classes already on their plates, the stress and responsibilities from their jobs add to the workload. It may over stress some students who already have pressures from other areas in life pressing down on them. Also, a challenge they would constantly face is time. With the type of classes those students take, the workload is already large without working on top of it.

Lots of students want some sort of job for multiple reasons. Though they might not always keep that job. Whether from getting fired or quitting the job themselves, what most students thought would help them quickly becomes a nuisance to them.