The “Thirteenth Grade”

Jack Cahill, Sports Editor

The word “College” brings up all kinds of emotions for students, ranging everywhere from excitement to nervousness. In recent years, the idea of going to community college has joined the post-high school education discussion. Many go to the community college for two years and then transfer to a four-year school to finish their education, instead of spending all four years at the four-year school. Both paths come with their own unique advantages and disadvantages. The difficult part is figuring out which path is right for you.

Going to community college first is the better move. Community college is much less expensive than a four-year school. Community college also allows kids to stay local instead of going to live in a completely new environment. The STARs program makes community college more enticing. The STARs program allows the top fifteenth percent of a high school class to attend community college for free, and, if you choose to attend a public in state school after community college, your tuition is discounted. This was the selling point for me, and I think many kids feel the same way.

Traditional college also comes with its perks as well. Most kids want the college lifestyle. The idea of living on your own without fully being immersed in the adult world is something most kids want to experience. Going to a four-year school helps students prepare for the real world, as they deal with time management and need to learn to organize without someone holding their hand. Going away to college also allows you to start off with a clean slate. You can meet so many more people from all over the country at a larger, four-year school, as opposed to seeing the same people from your town at the community college.

However, these pros should not discourage someone from attending community college. While a person may not get a full four years on their own, they will get two years when the transfer to a larger school. Most students also plan to get graduate degrees, so they will spend more time at a larger school. Community college also helps teach time management and organization. Most community college students get jobs, so balancing work and school is a great way to teach time management. Students also need to organize their assignments in community college in order to succeed.

While traditional, four year schools get all the rage, community college should not be ignored. Community college offers a great way to transition into adulthood, while avoiding the financial burden. Don’t dismiss community college as a sort of “thirteenth grade”. Take it as a great opportunity to succeed.