Jessica Wei

Jessica+Wei

What is the charity you chose to represent? 

The Sarcoma Foundation of America (SFA). After finding out my grandfather was diagnosed with myxofibrosarcoma cancer over the summer, I wanted to choose a foundation in dedication to him and the tough few months he has endured. SFA’s mission is dedicated to advocating for Sarcoma patients and funding research for this type of cancer. I hope to raise awareness and to make a change for those who have been diagnosed with an illness similar to my grandfather’s.   

Why do you best represent Washington Township? 

I think it’d be hard for me to firmly say I best represent all of Washington Township as just one person in an ocean filled with amazing individuals. But with every new day, I strive to be a better version of myself I was the previous day. I view waking up as another opportunity to put smiles on others’ faces and inspire those around me all while spreading kindness and positivity.  

What is your favorite pick-up line? 

Do you know what Ariel and I have in common? We both want to be part of your world. 

If you could pick anyone besides yourself to win, who would it be? 

Of all the questions, this is the hardest to answer. Every girl is so deserving, and I love every one of them. But, if I had to pick only one, I’d choose Kathryn Kim. She radiates positivity and never fails to be your “hype girl.” Not only is she a great actress and great singer, but she’s also a great friend. She never hesitates to go above and beyond to make everyone feel welcome and be there for those she loves.  

Favorite food: 

A steak bowl from Chipotle or Mac n’ Cheese. 

Favorite movie: 

I can’t choose between Divergent, Another Cinderella Story, or Hidden Figures. 

Favorite music artist: 

One Direction, Tate McRae, Taylor Swift (I know, basic). 

What TV show/movie character are you most like? 

DW from my favorite childhood show, Arthur. She’s young, witty, and thrives off annoying her sibling. Her everyday goal is getting her brother in trouble, but deep down she loves him. Similarly, my sister and I argue like any other sibling duo, but it’s all out of love… most of the time. 

What is your go-to Wawa order? 

Chicken Caesar wrap and a strawberry banana mango smoothie with whipped cream. 

If you could give yourself one superpower, what would it be? 

Telekinesis. Inspired by childhood crush, Chase Davenport, from Lab Rats, I really want to move stuff with my mind. My lazy self would love it as I’d never have to get up to shut off the light ever again, but I could also use it to prevent crashes and accidents. 

What has been your most embarrassing moment at WTHS? 

During my freshman year military ball, my friend, Sean Parchesky and I loved our dance circles and always danced our hearts out during every song. Jumping into the middle of the circle, we put in our all and started doing chicken dance to its music. We learned thirty seconds in that that song was in fact not the chicken dance… 

What has been one of the most memorable aspects of your high school experience? 

Going to Atlantic City for DECA and FBLA states was an unforgettable experience. We ran around the hotel making a video, were judges in a lip sync battle, and played the most intense game of Bingo ever. I spent time with people I wouldn’t have talked to in a school environment and met some of my closest friends. I wouldn’t trade those four days for anything.  

If you could change one thing about the world you live in, what would it be? 

Recent years have opened my eyes to the evil that some of the world spews out. I wish for everyone to just love and accept one another. Words can do just as much damage as any weapon. Whether that’s face-to-face or through a screen, they’re equally as harmful. We should be coming together as a community rather, not judging based on sexuality, race, or beliefs.  

What advice would you give to underclassmen about high school? About life? 

Not to copy Nike, but just do it!!! Whether you’re unsure about attending a school dance, trying out for a sport, or auditioning for the musical, just try anyways! High school is your time for you to explore your interest, find your passions, and discover who you are. These four years will fly by, and you don’t want to waste another day hesitating to do something you’ll end up regret missing. Face your fears and do what makes you happy.  

As for life, the same thing goes. Life is too short to wait until tomorrow. Stay safe, stay kind, but live with no regrets. 

What are your plans and goals for after high school? 

If I can’t live on a private beach in a mansion with all my friends, I plan to attend college studying finance and marketing to make a life in the business world. I want to become an actuary or run my own business one day. In shorter terms, I actually want to study numbers for the rest of my life.  

What teacher or faculty member has made the biggest impact on your high school career? 

Every staff member at Washington Township has made an impact on my life that I will always remember. If I could list everyone, I would, but here’s a few that I’ll forever be appreciative of. Ms. Molloy and Ms. Mason, my student council advisors, have taught me life skills I’ll never forget. Mr. Spencer and Mr. Holmes, teachers who have taught me to have confidence and to never doubt my abilities. Madame Kaiser and Madame Hudak, mes professeurs who never failed to put a smile on my face even if I couldn’t understand them. And finally, Ms. Dowdell, my fellow book nerd, advice giver, and the one who has been with me through thick and thin. Thank you all <3 

Who in your life has had the biggest influence on you? 

My special person and older sister, Kelly Wei. She’s been my personal tour guide on making good decisions and helped me stay safe while navigating through life. She could be living the worst day ever but would still actively listen and empathize if I rant about my problems. There’s no one else I would’ve wanted to play Barbies with and fight against to sit in the front seat. 

What is one thing you cannot live without? 

Silly answer: cheese! My personal doomsday is the week I go without eating Mac n’ Cheese. But being for real, I can’t live without my friends, family, and everyone that has ever supported me. Whether they’ve seen me cry or cry laughing, they’ve had my back through it all. 

What is something about you that most people do not know? 

I have a giraffe stuffed animal collection all with ‘W’ names – Wally, Walnut, Wilbert, Waldo, Walgreens (I’ll admit, that last one isn’t the best). 

Describe yourself in three words. 

Optimistic, energetic, and nerdy.  

If you had to give a 20-minute presentation on a topic of your choosing, what would it be? 

Such a guilty pleasure, but Disney Channel Original movies. I’d be lying if I ever said I don’t have a Lemonade Mouth, High School Musical, Camp Rock, Teen Beach Movie, and Starstruck jam session at least once a week. Something about cheesy, predictable plots with cringey dialogue always captivates me. 

What has been the best part about being on the Homecoming Court? 

Being on the Homecoming Court gave me eleven other girls to laugh with, dance with, and create new memories with. I’m so appreciative of the opportunity to be part of an experience that brought together people who, in another world, I may have never gotten to know. We’re all active in different clubs, sports, and classes, but at the end of the day, we all support each other.