Wednesdays with Mitch

Madison Agostini, Author

On Oct. 29, 11th grade English classes in Washington Township High School had the opportunity to meet with Mitch Albom via Skype in the 11/12 auditorium which was arranged by Mrs. Abigail Molotsky. Albom wrote a few books in the 11th grade curriculum such as For One More Day, The Five People You Meet in Heaven, and Tuesdays with Morrie.

During the call Albom told students about his life as an author, his books, and advice for people who wanted to pursue writing. Students also had the opportunity to participate in a Q&A session.

Albom explained that For One More Day was inspired by his mother and included many true stories from when he was a kid. Albom never told his mom he was writing it until it was published. Unfortunately his mother now is unable to read or speak due to a stroke. “If I had not written that book when I did she wouldn’t have been able to read it,” Albom says, “It will always have a special place in my heart.”

His first novel, The Five People You Meet in Heaven was based on a story his uncle told at Thanksgiving dinner about how he had a near death experience and saw his dead relatives around his bed.

Albom grew up in Haddon Heights, New Jersey and attended Haddon Township High School. He described his childhood as very common to most children, “We played kickball in the street and baseball. We’d play until our parents called us in for dinner.”

He was also in his own band and played at the school dances. He majored in music and moved to New York City. “I knew I wanted to have a creative career over making money,” Albom said, “I knew that life wasn’t that important to have a fancy car or a big house but what was important was to not wake up in the morning and not want to go further.”

When Albom was about 23 he decided to start writing and became a sports journalist. It took years of reporting until he felt ready to begin exploring fiction writing.

Albom wants aspiring writers to know that writers have to work every day, just like everyone else. They have to write every single day for hours. “The most important thing if you want to be a writer is you have to read everything, they’ll inspire you and put good words in your head and try to do it yourself.”

Albom also felt to address the students’ generation since he was once young and struggled finding his passion. “You all feel a lot of pressure about what to be and how to be it, and if you don’t know you feel like a failure,” Albom said. “I’m here to tell you you’re not a failure, even if you don’t know when you’re 25.”

Albom is currently working on a novel about a musician in Spain. He is traveling to Spain in a few weeks to observe the environment in Spain so that his setting is portrayed correctly. The projection date has not been announced yet however it should be a success.