DECA Stocks the Pantry

Jackson McCrae '23, Managing Editor

During the month of October, WTHS DECA’s Stock the Pantry event collected sanitary products and food items to fill the Township Pantry, an organization that provides for economically disadvantaged members of the school community. The pantry is run by dance teacher Eisa Jackson and ninth and tenth grade student assistance coordinator Heather Petolicchio.

Donation boxes were placed around WTHS, with signs that encouraged students to donate items like shampoo, toothbrushes, deodorant, gift cards to various supermarkets, juices, syrup and pancake mix, dry milk, mac and cheese, and distilled vinegar, all of which will be given back to families in need in Washington Township.

According to DECA advisor Alex Ackley, COVID impacted what the pantry needed, and DECA adjusted accordingly.

“There’s different needs because COVID has affected all of our families differently, so we’ve had to make sure that we’re getting items that they need in the pantry.”

At the request of DECA’s Vice President of Community Events, Thomas Tait, Stock the Pantry was scaled up this year. According to Tait, this year the drive collected enough donations to help six to seven families. Tait credits the success of the events to the marketing of senior Abigail Wilson, and the efforts of DECA’s community service team, which consists of seniors Caden Morell, Spencer Barnoski, Andrew Briggs, and Matt Egan. He added that DECA is grateful to all of the staff and students who made donations during this drive.