Abby Aguilar

Abby+Aguilar

What is the charity you chose to represent?  

Voorhees Animal Orphanage. I’ve been surrounded by animals for most of my life. Since the start of my high school career, I’ve been helping rescues and animals in need. Both my dogs are rescues, and I love them so much. They influence a lot of my work with animals. I think it’s important to help shelters because they play a vital role in helping the community and helping animals find good, loving homes. 

Why do you best represent Washington Township? 

I try to get involved with not only school activities, but the people I surround myself with. It’s important to reach out to others, and especially to help them feel comfortable and welcomed in a new environment. Washington Township prides itself on respect, which is a core belief of mine. 

What is your favorite pick-up line? 

Does your left eye hurt? Because you’ve been looking right all day. 

If you could pick anyone besides yourself to win, who would it be?  

Everyone on the court is awesome! If I had to pick anyone else, I would say Kathryn or Emily. They’re both a couple of my greatest friends and I’ve grown so close with them over high school.  

Favorite food: 

My favorite food is sinigang, which is a Filipino soup. I grew up eating it so it’s one of my favorite foods. 

Favorite movie: 

Howl’s Moving Castle. It’s a timeless movie, and the animation is beautiful. 

Favorite music artist: 

I listen to all kinds of music. If I had to pick a favorite artist, though, I would say Bruno Mars.  

What TV show/movie character are you most like?  

I’m most like Tom Holland’s spider-man. He’s a kid trying to navigate through new experiences while also working under pressure from those around him, which is something I can relate to. 

What is your go-to Wawa order? 

An Italian hoagie with pickles, sometimes with Mac n cheese. 

If you could give yourself one superpower, what would it be?  

The power to control plants. It would make gardening a lot easier. 

What has been your most embarrassing moment at WTHS? 

Probably the entirety of my freshman year. I was still a middle-schooler at heart and was childish overall. 

What has been one of the most memorable aspects of your high school experience? 

The great memories I’ve made at different clubs. Also, getting to make new friends in my classes has been one of my favorite parts of high school.  

If you could change one thing about the world you live in, what would it be? 

For people to have more respect and decency for one another. A lot of people keep harmful opinions despite it tearing people down. If people shifted their focus towards respect for other people and their livelihoods, then I think it would make the world a better place.  

What advice would you give to underclassmen about high school? About life? 

Get involved. Doing everything I can in school has broadened my horizons and helped me better connect to my peers and teachers. I’ve been able to go on fun school trips and organize events, which feels amazing. For life in general, I would say to live life to the fullest. You never want to have regrets for something you didn’t do. 

What are your plans and goals for after high school? 

I plan to go to Temple University. But after that, I want to have a career that effectively uses my creative abilities! Graphic design really interests me, and I would like to work in that field. 

What teacher or faculty member has made the biggest impact on your high school career? 

Mrs. Sandusky has been the sweetest teacher ever and has only ever shown me kindness and support! She is easy to talk to and makes our subjects a lot easier to understand.  

Who in your life has had the biggest influence on you?  

All my loved ones have had such an impact on my life. Their support, advice, and guidance have made me the person I am now and led me to be on the Homecoming Court. I am extremely lucky to be around amazing people who care so much about me. 

What is one thing you cannot live without?  

Music. I love listening to music as well as making it, and it gets me through all my everyday activities. Without music, my life would be way more boring. 

What is something about you that most people do not know? 

I’m kind of a picky eater, and there are many foods that I haven’t tried or don’t like. 

Describe yourself in three words. 

Helpful, kind, and fun. 

If you had to give a 20-minute presentation on a topic of your choosing, what would it be?  

A seminar on why sea otters are my favorite animals. They’re extremely smart and help balance the ecosystem, plus they’re really cute. 

What has been the best part about being on the Homecoming Court? 

Getting to be a part of the spirit parade. After watching the spirit parade almost every year of high school, I’ve always thought that being a part of the homecoming court was a great way to get involved in school and to have a lot of fun at the same time. And it has brought me a lot closer to my friends as we are all excited about this amazing event!