A Vote for Year Round School

Rich Racobaldo '17, Staff Editor

Year-round schooling would be beneficial for most people. Students would be engaged in learning for longer periods of time, teachers would be paid all year long, and parents would not have to worry about child care during the summer.

Studies have shown that students who do not engage in any learning activities throughout the summer perform worse on review materials at the beginning of the new school year. Math facts need to be relearned. Vocabulary development suffers. Students who read during the summer perform better at the beginning of the school year. This proves that year-round school would be more beneficial for students.

Most teachers do not get paid during the summer. Many teachers need to get second jobs so that they can pay their bills during the summer. Year-round schooling would alleviate this problem. Teachers and students would still have breaks every season, but teachers would be paid for them, just like winter break.

A huge problem for parents during the summer is finding child care for their children. It can be costly and time consuming. Many parents cannot find reliable childcare and need to miss time from work. Daycares charge hundreds of dollars per week. It can be a huge financial problem to parents who have multiple children.

Year-round schooling has many benefits for everyone involved in the schooling system. School would run for three months at a time and then go on a break for three weeks. Students and teachers would get the rest that they need, but would still remember all the information that was taught three weeks earlier. Parents would have the peace of mind of knowing that there is a place for their children to go during the summer, that will cost them nothing. Everyone benefits from year-round schooling. I hope to see it implemented in our school district soon