Hit the brake!

Samantha Morad '17, Features Editor

Over the years, school parking has been a controversy, especially in our school. Juniors believe it to be unfair that they can’t get a parking spot, at least not until the fourth marking period. I’ll admit to being one of those students.

Fellow students have expressed their opinions.

“I think juniors should be able to get spots, but let there be a limit,” states Casey Spencer ’17 who turned 17 a couple months ago.

Senior Jenna Weitzman remembers being annoyed her junior year when she turned 17, but couldn’t drive to school while there were seniors who didn’t have a license and/or a car. The line to apply for a parking permit was chaotic as friends were getting in line with friends further up. Weitzman waited for an hour in line because of this.

She also believes that juniors should be able to get a parking spot based off of birthdays, as well as Driver’s Ed. If you have an earlier birthday, you should be eligible for a parking spot and a 1st or 2nd marking period Driver’s Ed class.

The schedules are randomized and it would be very difficult to manually go back and change every student’s schedule to give them Diver’s Ed based on their birthday.

Principal Ms. Anne Moore takes a firm stance on the issue.

“We feel very strongly for maintaining parking spaces for seniors. It’s a privilege,” states Ms. Moore.

I didn’t see it that way. I see parking at school as, ‘Yes! I get another 10-15 minutes to lay in bed!’

During the summer before your senior year, incoming seniors receive a letter giving dates in which you can come to the school and apply for a parking permit. Permits are $25.

There are two days in August set aside and designated for students to pick their spot. The first day is for renaissance card holders only. The following day is for all seniors.

In order to do so you must be a licensed driver. If all you have is a permit, you will have to wait until you get your license to apply for a spot.

Juniors cannot obtain a permit until the 4th marking period of the school year. Even then it is not certain. We must enter our name into a lottery through the main office and they will pick names and assign left over spots to us.

This program started about two years ago when it was realized that there were plenty of open spaces.

Personally, I did not think the system was fair. If a junior got their license in the 1st or 2nd marking period, they’ll want to express their new found freedom. How is it fair that we are withheld from our privilege to drive? What if we have reasons for needing a spot other than ‘I want to drive to school,’ such as ‘I have work at 2:30’ or ‘I stay after until 6pm because of sports’?

Ms. Moore explained that over the years, requests have been made, but by allowing those students a spot it makes it unfair to everyone else. Therefore, they were not made.

“It can undermine the process and we do face restrictions in life,” Ms. Moore said. She continued on speaking about how most colleges don’t allow vehicles for freshman, and occasionally sophomores, on campus.

After a lengthy discussion on the topic with Ms. Moore, my bitter thoughts towards parking have become more passive. I still wish that I could drive to school and not get in trouble for it (to view punishments/restrictions for unauthorized parking and parking lot rules refer to page 48 of your student handbook), although I better understand the reasoning and my thoughts have gone from ‘this is frustrating’ to ‘it’s not that bad. It stinks, but at least it’s reasonable.’