Stress Is The One Schooling Us Now

Adrienne Brookstein, Managing Editor

School, study, sleep, repeat; that often is the never ending cycle that many students face on a daily basis. Teenagers are under an immense amount of pressure from their teachers, parents, and in some cases even themselves. If people want to succeed in life they have to learn how to survive; and high school has become a game of the survival of the fittest.  A vast majority of people believe that school today teaches students how to pass exams rather than actually focusing on learning. In many cases students jam the material into their heads the night before a quiz or test, and as soon as the exam has been taken, the material is lost. Are students really learning at this point? Or are they just learning to pass these tests?

In addition, the rapid pace of quizzes and tests being given is extremely stressful to students. Much of the student body has admitted to having to drop out of classes, seek medical attention, and even seek therapy because the stress was too intense and constant.

Overall, most of the teachers are giving too much work to their students, and in the end it’s overwhelming. It’s not that the students don’t want to stay on top of everything, sometimes they just can’t. Students today are often treated as if they are machines.

Students are aware that the choices that they make in high school are going to set the foundation for the rest of their lives. To put it frankly, it is an awful lot for teens to think about. They know they have to try their hardest and put in their best efforts, but sometimes it can become excessive. Some teachers expect students to work on homework for more than two hours a night for a single course, on top of the workload for all of their other classes. Many students admit they work on homework from the time they get home to the time they go to bed. It’s consumes a great deal of time away from students, and the things that they love often get pushed aside.

Students are in school for about seven hours a day, and they practically hit the ground running once they wake up. The day doesn’t stop at 2:10, it stops after copious hours of completing work for other classes and studying. Teenagers are missing crucial time with their friends and family because of the seemingly endless amounts of homework they receive. Not only is school work draining students, but also their after school activities. Many students are involved with sports, clubs, or jobs that require much of their time also. With every going on at once, teenagers can collapse under all the pressure.

Moreover, school should be the place where we get the most amount work done, not our homes. Some teachers assign quizzes to be taken online after the long day of school, or assign deadlines during the weekend. Teachers aren’t factoring in the fact that we have lives too and we can’t always focus on school. We have to live, and experience life. We are only people; we’re still kids at heart, and this adulthood lifestyle is completely new to us. We’re still learning how to manage ourselves, and figure out who we are. It’s a very complicated time for students, and we can’t always be on top of everything.