Girls volleyball prepares for the new season

Ray Wos

The girls on the volleyball team practice before a big game.

Casey Spencer '17

While some other teams are tackling, kicking, and shooting their way through the season. The Minutemaids Girls Volleyball team are setting, bumping, and striking their way through some very tough challenges. The team opened the season with two wins and six loses. A team that is still relatively new to the varsity level, the Minutemaids are playing more experienced programs.

“Being new to the varsity level has definitely been the team’s biggest challenge this season,” said Varsity head coach Barbra McBrearty “however, we do have players playing positions they have never played before and they are doing well in them.”

Matches against the team’s toughest conference opponents still lay ahead of them.

“Cherry Hill East, Eastern, Williamstown, and Cherokee are all tough matches for us.” McBrearty shared. “Each of these teams goes on to states, but the Minutemaids have been able to remain competitive in previous matches with these opponents.”

Though the team is facing challenges competition wise, there are still some other struggles for the team. Since the team is still fairly new, they still are having some troubles recruiting players for the freshman team.

“This is the second year we have had a freshmen team” McBearty commented.

The freshman team, which is in its second season, freshman coach Gary Mount works very hard with all girls and teaches them a lot about the game.  But overall, dedication, commitment, and hard work are all attributes McBrearty searches for when selecting players for the Minutemaids Varsity.

“The players work hard both on and off season.” She said

The leadership of captains, seniors Meg Welding, Kristina Semple, and Kyra Bevenour are playing a large role in the young team’s success.

“Our captains are leaders on and off the court.” McBearty said

Former players also play a key role in the success of the Washington Township volleyball program. Former players from both the Boys’ and Girls’ teams come back to support the team.

Marc Boncardo was a four year member of the boys’ volleyball team. This is his third season as an assistant coach for the girl’s and boys’ team.

The coaches’ hope the players take away a positive feeling of what it means to be part of a team no matter how big or small their role is. Everyone is important to the program

With the belief that the key to being a great team is to actually be a team, the coaches and captains try to bring players together through team bonding.

“Team bonding is very important to the success of a team,” one of the captains shared “We do a lot of team bonding activities including, pasta parties, bon fires, and participating in charitable events together, such as the Buddy Walk.”

Even though the Minutemaids are off to a slow start to their season and still have many challenges to overcome, the plan to continue to build and become stronger.