Minutemen lose tough game at Kingsway

Jackson McCrae '23, Editor-in-Chief

On Friday, Washington Township lost to Kingsway 24-10 at Kingsway. It was the second loss of the season for the Minutemen, and it moves them to a record of 1-2.

The Minutemen got off to a rough start, as seconds into the game junior QB Jared Dzierzgowski had the ball literally ripped from his hands by the Dragon defense, leading to a 36-yard defensive touchdown. The Minutemen offense struggled the rest of the first quarter, barely moving and putting up no points while a Kingsway field goal pushed their lead to 10-0.

Township finally got on the board in the second quarter after a solid drive led to a Max DiRaddo 38-yard field goal. After the two teams traded punts, the Dragons answered back with a 32-yard touchdown pass with about two minutes left in the half. The Minutemen, with senior QB Danny Farley now under center, marched down the field and converted on a 45-yard touchdown to sophomore Dashawn Long to make the score 17-10 with under a minute left in the half.

After a scoreless third quarter involving two Kingsway punts and an interception thrown by Farley, the Minutemen had the ball entering the fourth quarter. However, they were unable to make anything happen and punted to Kingsway. The Dragons drove until the Minutemen defense was able to force a stop in the redzone, leading to a missed 35-yard field goal attempt. The Minutemen then got the ball on their own 20-yard line with the chance to drive and tie it up. Just a few plays later a Dragons defender picked off a Farley pass and took it 23 yards for a touchdown, putting the nail in the coffin of a Minutemen comeback.

The Minutemen have the chance to bounce back next week when they take on Holy Spirit (2-1) at 7:00 PM on the road.