Mr. May – Matt Liss

If you had to pick anyone beside yourself to win, who would it be? 

I would pick Vinnie Roberts. I’d pick Vinnie because he’s a good friend, a good student, and a genuinely good person. Prior to this year I hadn’t known Vinnie that well, but he’s someone who constantly has a smile on his face and is always willing to do the most to make sure that other people are doing okay. We struggle in accounting together, run gym volleyball and ramp shot together, and it’s been a pleasure to become friends with him.  

What are your future plans?  

I plan on attending Christopher Newport University where I will be able to continue my athletic career playing soccer for the university, and study Pre-Law. I plan on minoring in both Spanish and business law and hope to go to law school and pursue a career in politics and government or become a lawyer.  

What was your memorable high school experience?  

My most memorable high school experience was winning the state final in high school soccer my freshman year. 

If you could give one piece of advice to underclassmen, what would it be? 

“Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”- Ferris Bueller. I was always told high school flies by, and I neglected to believe it until the second semester of my senior year, but it truly does. Focus on your studies and maintain good grades, but don’t forget to have fun, do what you love and GET INVOLVED. Some of the best memories you’ll make in high school will happen because you put yourself out there and got into situations that you were unfamiliar with.  

Why do you best represent Washington Township? 

I think that I best represent Washington Township because despite leaving the school for my junior year (due to COVID), I came back. Washington Township granted me opportunities that I never would have imagined possible as a kid growing up here. I’ve always been told to not take things for granted, and when I transferred out of Washington Township, I realized that there truly is no place like home. Washington Township granted me memories and friends that I’ll cherish for the rest of my life, and I’d love to have the opportunity to represent the community that turned me into the man I am today.  

What TV show or Movie character are you most like? 

Jake Peralta from Brooklyn 9-9. I think that I’m most like him because despite being cocky and immature, he’s an intelligent person who’s a good friend and is very laid-back. He also cracks jokes and deflects with humor in uncomfortable situations which I also tend to do.  gt5

What’s your go to Wawa order? 

Honey smoked turkey, American cheese, lettuce and bacon on a white roll, spicy nacho Doritos, chocolate chip cookie, and green apples.  

Favorite TV show? 

Friends or Breaking Bad 

Favorite Movie? 

Shawshank Redemption or the Hangover 

Favorite music artist? 

Luke Combs 

If you could only listen to one album for the rest of your life, what would it be? 

Dangerous: The Double Album. It doesn’t have a single bad song, and every song has its own individual vibe. If I was feeling chill music, I could listen to songs like “7 Summers”, “Your Bartender”, or “865.” If I was feeling a more upbeat vibe I could listen to “This Bar”, or “More than My Hometown”, and so on.  

If you could give yourself one superpower, what would it be? 

The ability to fly. I’d never have to pay for a plane ticket, I could travel the world at my will, I would be able to find the best views of whatever I please, and who wouldn’t want to fly, there is no downside.  

If you were stranded on an island what are three things you would bring with you to survive? 

Food, water, and a magnifying glass. 

Most inspiring teacher that had an impact on you? 

Ms. Pancari or Ms. Stockl  

Most embarrassing moment? 

During rehearsal of the production of, “A Chorus Line”, my sophomore year, I was practicing my kicks for the kick line we had to do, and I thought I was so cool doing super high kicks until my plant leg gave out and I fell flat on my face and everyone laughed at me.  

Favorite subject? 

History/Government 

If you could create a class to add to our school, what would it be? 

Probably an introduction to adulthood class. A class that would give kids tips on what to do when they get into the real world. How to pay taxes, how to do mortgages, washing and ironing, how to fix different household things that frequently break, etc. 

If you had to spontaneously give a 20-minute presentation, what would it be on? 

Why grapefruits are the greatest fruit of them all.  

Dream car? 

Black Rolls Royce Sweptail  

If you could visit one foreign country, what would it be? 

Italy  

If you could only live in one place for the rest of your life, where would it be? 

Probably New Jersey because I’ve already lived here for the entirety of my life and haven’t had many issues.  

What’s your favorite pickup line? 

“How you doin?” 

What’s your hidden talent? 

I know every word to every song in the Hamilton soundtrack.  

If you can change lives with someone for a day, who would it be? 

Tom Holland. I would be spiderman, I’d be one of the most loved people on Earth, I’d be dating Zendaya, and would be wealthy. And on top of all that I’d get to go to work and act every day.  

If you won a million dollars, what would you spend it on? 

College tuition, stocks/investments, clothes, shoes, car, charity.  

Which charity did you choose, and why? 

The charity that I chose is the American Red Cross. I chose this charity because the organization has had a huge impact on families all across the United States, bringing food, shelter, and comfort to those affected by disasters. I’ve been an active member of the Red Cross Youth Council out of Sewell since my sophomore year and am currently the Vice President of the Club. I’ve been able to witness the great things that the Red Cross has done in order to alleviate human suffering, and therefore it is the charity that I would like to donate to.