Jessica Wei – Recording Secretary

Why are you running for this position?

The top 5 positions act as a glue that keep student council running and going. Being part of student council has been nothing but a glorious position, and I want to help, participate, and be the glue. I’ll get bigger and better chances to lift school spirits, give back to the community, and of course, plan awesome dances. But, behind the decorations and music, recording secretary keeps everyone on task, organized, and focused. If I get the position, I’ll get the opportunity to push executive members beyond typical years and bring us back after following a distance learning year.

What qualities do you have that make you stand out as a leader?

Other top 5 candidates such as myself without a doubt have leadership aspects, but I go beyond that as well. My problem-solving and quick-thinking skills go hand in hand with the responsibilities top 5 members face day-to-day. My past leadership and executive positions enabled me to work well under pressure while continuing to appeal to the needs and wants of others. But I continue to be reliable, passionate, and dedicated through hard times such as this year. No obstacle is too big and no solution to too small.

If you win, what would you try to accomplish?

I want to bring everyone back together and make the year unforgettable. While the 2020-2021 school year is something no one will forget, I want to bounce back and ensure everyone also remembers how amazing the next school year was. I’ll bring everyone back together, keep student council fired up throughout the entire year, and keep the students of Washington Township high school smiling.

Who has provided the most positive influence on your development as a leader?

Even though I almost never saw any other student council members in person, I cannot think of a time where I’ve felt more connected with them. Ms. Mason and Ms. Molloy continued to keep a smile the year even when things felt impossible. And the amazing executive board of student council also inspired me to keep going and still made our online meetings feel like home.

What’s one quote that has impacted your outlook on leadership and life?

Marilyn Monroe once said, “Sometimes good things fall apart, so better things can fall together.” She inspired me to keep a positive outlook on life, because in the end, good will happen.