Mr. December, 2021 – Jake Minnick

What would be your advice to underclassmen concerning high school?  

Be yourself. Be weird. Be involved in what you want to be involved in and don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do something if you know you can. Strive to be the best version of yourself and if you have a goal for your future, dream it and achieve it.  

If you could go back one year, what would you say to yourself pre-covid? 

Well, first off, I would tell myself to delete TikTok and not to waste so many hours on that nonsense. But, more seriously, I would tell myself to use this time to my benefit and use it being close to family that I normally would not have been able to have as much time with. I am very appreciative of the extra time at home that I had to spend with my Grandmother.  

What’s your favorite pick-up line?  

I am once again asking if you will be my girlfriend.  

If you could pick anyone besides you to win, who would it be? 

I would pick Connor Flaherty to win if I could pick someone else to win. Connor is a hilarious individual; a bit on the quiet side, but very enjoyable to talk with.  

Why should we choose you to be Mr. Washington TWP 2021 

You should choose me to be Mr. WT simply because I care. I think that I have proven to my peers and teachers that I genuinely care about others more than myself and I think that I best represent my high school class.  

What fictional character do you relate to the most? 

Creed Bratton

What is your hidden talent? 

Some may say that I am a mean poker player.  

How has the Mr. Washington Township nomination changed your (everyday) life? 

The nomination hasn’t necessarily changed my daily lifebut it has caused me to have to work around a very busy schedule on the daily and handle more stress for being able to do everything that my daily schedule entails. That first day was so exciting, having people reach out to me and congratulate me and then purchase my shirt. 

How do you want to be remembered at WTHS?  

I want to be remembered at WTHS as someone who cared about the people around him and someone who puts others over himself. Public and community service have been part of my high school career since freshman year day 1, and I am proud of my involvement and service; I would like to be remembered as the most involved student of my class. Also, I want to be remembered as the twp kid who became the president of the United States.  

What’s your favorite movie? 

My favorite movie is Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. An emotional roller coaster of fandom, episode 3 gives me everything: clone wars, jedi, sith, lightsaber duels, emotion, excitement, it’s everything. Yes, I am the biggest Star Wars geek.  

What was your favorite quarantine activity? 

My favorite quarantine activity was actually reading. I was able to catch up on a number of books that I have been wanting to read and I would say that reading has helped with some anxiety and stress problems.  

What quality about yourself do you love most? 

The quality about myself that I love the most would either be my public speaking abilities or determination trait. I have always loved getting up in front of the class and delivering an intelligent and humorous class presentation and I find my ability to give speeches is strong. I also feel as though I have always held strong to being determined on whatever task it is, not letting anyone tell me I can’t do something.  

If you could live anywhere besides the US, where would it be? 

London, England. I have two uncles and a number of other family members in London and the surrounding areas; it would be great to experience British life with them.  

What teacher/staff member at WTHS has had the most impact on your high school career?  

Mrs. Sara Simpson has had the greatest impact on my high school career. I have had Mrs. Simpson for three years now and participated in FBLA with her freshman year as well. She is a dedicated professional, a fantastic teacher and a trustworthy person that has been fundamental to my growth as a leader in the school.  

If you could bring three things with you to a deserted island, what would they be?  

Easy: a golf club (specifically an 8 iron) for survival and for fun; a record player that never dies and features Adele, Frank Sinatra and Slaughter Beach Dog (only the best for my island music); and a dog to track food and keep me sane.  

What are your aspirations and plans for after graduation?  

To attend a university in Washington D.C. and start building my political career. My life goals are to become president. There’s nothing more that I want in life than to become president.  

If you could create a class at WTHS what would it be? 

A debate-style political course for those interested in going into government and politics. This class would focus less on how the government works but more on congressional debating and planning style lessons.  

What’s your favorite animal?  

I am going to go with a Penguin.  

What’s your favorite place to get food 

Le Celier in the Canada showcase at Disney World’s Epcot. But, around here I enjoy Saladworks and Sal’s pizza. My favorite food is Baklava though, but only Mrs. Jennie Minnick can make the secret recipe.  

What is the number one thing you look for in a significant other? 

The most important thing to me in a significant other is shared interests.  

What is your go-to wawa order? 

For a snack, that wawa pretzel is on another level; but for a meal, a quesadilla with chicken, cheddar cheese and fresh salsa, doesn’t get better than that.  

If you could trade places with someone for one day, who would it be? 

I don’t think this will surprise anyone, but Senator Bernard Sanders. A man who has inspired my political aspirations, to be able to be in his place for a day and see what it all truly means would be astronomically cool.  

If you won a million dollars, what would you do? 

Okay, hear me out. I get the million dollars, I put that million dollars in Bitcoin for a year, boom, it’s worth 2.5+ by the next year. I then donate half of that money to assisting with ending child poverty/hunger and then I donate the second half to Alzheimer’s research. I have no interest in being a millionaire myself.