Interact set for year of service

Sruthi Srinivasan, Editor

One year ago, Olivia Smithson ’17, then a freshman, experienced what she describes as one of the best moments of her life. While participating in an Interact Club event and working the slide at the Buddy Walk, she had the opportunity to talk to a little boy who had autism while he waited in line for the slide. He told her that he looked forward to the games all year.

Smithson said, “That just melted my heart because it made me feel like I played a role in his happiness.” The Interact Club is one that provides opportunities for students to participate in volunteer work, while giving students and even participants great memories that they will remember forever.

Two year general member Celeste Subido ’17 says, “Not only is the club a lot of fun, but we do a lot of activities that raise money or awareness for a cause.”The Interact Club is a service club that prides itself on the ideal of “Service Above Self”. Various activities are hosted throughout the year that aim to open a student’s mind to the joys of volunteer work and understanding the simple pleasures that come out of making another person’s day just a little bit better.

Some of the more popular events throughout the year are Monzo Madness, a 24 hour dance-a-thon that seeks to raise money for ALS, and Festival of Friends, which provides a day of fun for senior citizens and mentally challenged adults.

The events put on by the club require a lot of help on the students’ and supervisors’ parts, yet they are very rewarding for most who participate. Smithson said, “The community events we do truly bring everyone together, especially in the sense of making a difference in our own community members’ lives.”

Another event that is very rewarding for any participant is the Pacesetter’s Dance, which caters to mentally challenged citizens by hosting a dance for them.

Interact Executive Board member Olivia McGough ’17 says, “I feel that the Pacesetter’s Dance is one of the most rewarding events that Interact hosts because it’s clear to see how much joy the guests get out of the experience.”

For many, community service starts off as a nice addition to a college resume, but it soon becomes so much more than that.

Ms. April Renzetti, one of the Interact club advisors said, “When you have severely disabled persons enter a room with an exorbitant amount of excitement and a million dollar smile all because you invited them to a social outing is by far one of the most rewarding experiences for me.” Both Ms. Renzetti and Miss. Taylor are club advisors for Interact.

The Interact Club touches the lives of many different people, mainly through the support of dedicated members who wish to better their own lives and experiences as well as the lives of others.

Subido said, “The cause [Interact’s mission] in itself is very selfless and inspiring.”

The Interact events are designed to provide fun for both the volunteers and especially for the participants that the events support. For most, the club changes members’ entire view of community service.

Ms. Renzetti says, “I love everything we have to offer from doing service, providing meals and clothing, and giving social outlets to people who may not ever be given such opportunities. I truly love what Interact stands for.”