Scheduling takes new form amid coronavirus restrictions

Thomas Tait '22, Editor-in-Chief

The Washington Township counseling department has begun its scheduling process for the 2021-2022 school year, with pre-scheduling taking place the week of February 8th and appointments with counselors to officially schedule starting February 16th.

According to Ms. Jennifer Grimaldi, the Director of District School Counseling, after last week’s prescheduling sessions in Social Studies classes, “WTHS Counselors will hold individual student appointments either in-person or via WebEx to design the Personalized Student Learning Plan (PSLP).”

Rising seniors (Class of 2022) will have their meetings from February 16th to March 5th, rising juniors (Class of 2023) will have theirs’ from March 8th to March 19th, rising sophomores (Class of 2024) from March 22nd to April 1st, and rising freshman (Class of 2025) from April 12th to April 23rd.
AP Human Geography is the only new class being offered next year; Honors European History will no longer be taught.

School counselor Mrs. Karin Carpenter and Ms. Grimaldi recommend students do some prepping before their meetings with their counselors.

Grimaldi said that it was important to encourage students “to review the Program of Studies since it is full of excellent resources and links to important webpages.”

Carpenter added, “I do recommend reviewing the colleges that you may want to apply to and majors/recommended courses.”

Junior Ava Scott has already started preparing for her meeting this week, though she still isn’t sure what colleges she is going to apply to.

“I have in mind all the classes that I want to take for my senior year, as well as questions regarding preparing for college applications.”

Grimaldi also recommended students do research into the dual credit classes offered.

“We have about 50 courses at WTHS that are considered dual credit meaning students can take WTHS Courses and pay a college fee about $150. If the student gets a [A, B, or C] depending on the course, they will earn college credits and a college transcript. Students have graduated with an associate’s degree from college or at least have saved a significant amount of money by beginning college early.”

Senior Jake Minnick has taken advantage of the dual credit program since his freshman year, having credits for at least eight college courses.

“If the universities that I am interested in accept the credits, I’d have the likely outcome of possibly starting college as a sophomore.”

More information about scheduling can be found on the counseling website and in the program of studies.