Class of 2021 Signing Day

Kelly Wei '21, News Editor

On November 11th, WTHS announced the college commitments made by nine student-athletes: Amanda Attanasi, Manon Bada, Samantha (Sam) Bagosy, Alyssa Baron, Alexis (Lexi) Coppola, Richard Hughes, Angelina Saverase, Megan Smith, and Danielle (Dani) Stuart. The Patriot caught up with these students to ask a few questions about such an important decision.

Amanda Attanasi

College commitment: James Madison University

Sport: Soccer

Anticipated major/minor: Criminal Justice

Why did you choose that college? What about that college attracted you the most?

I chose JMU because I loved the college type atmosphere. The coaches were so welcoming, and the facilities are those like no other.

Has the coronavirus impacted or influenced your college decision? Were you able to visit the college or did you use other virtual resources?

Covid-19 has not impacted my college decision. I got to visit JMU my sophomore year which I am very grateful for. Usually, we have our official visit in the fall of my senior year, but I am hoping for that in the springtime.

What are you most excited about in the next couple of years?

I am really excited to be away from home and just continue to play the sport I love for another four years at a very competitive level.

Are there any parting words or shout-outs you’d like to give?

I would like to thank Coach Sachs, Coach Corbley, and Coach Flip for everything they have done for me these past four years. The soccer season was always something I’ve looked forward to and without their motivation, I wouldn’t be where I am today.

Manon Bada

College commitment: Messiah University

Sport: Soccer

Anticipated major/minor: Undecided

Messiah has been the college I have wanted to go to since I was young. I love the campus, the team, the coach and the whole environment there.

Has the coronavirus impacted or influenced your college decision? Were you able to visit the college or did you use virtual resources?

The coronavirus did not influence my college decision. I was able to visit the college prior to the virus.

Meeting new people at college and hopefully, having success playing soccer at the collegiate level.

I would like to give a shout-out to all of my teammates who I have had the best time playing with over these past four years. I wouldn’t have wanted to go through high school soccer with anyone else. I also want to shout-out Coach Sachs for always pushing and supporting me!

Sam Bagosy

College commitment: Penn State Brandywine

Sport: Softball

Anticipated major/minor: Psychology

I loved how beautiful and small the campus was; also, how easy it is to get to each building.

The coronavirus had no impact on my decision to go to Penn State. However, it has affected me being able to see the inside of the college. The school had virtual tours and pictures online that allowed me to overcome this obstacle.

I’m excited to be on my own and to play the sport I love for another 4 years after high school.

I want to thank my coaches and teachers for pushing me to be the best I can be on the field and in the classroom. Also, thank you to my teammates who always have my back on the field. Ang, Jules, and Coach Burkhart, if you’re reading this, the freshman is going to college!!

Alyssa Baron

College commitment: Drew University

Sport: Volleyball

Anticipated major/minor: Biology for undergrad and then medical school

I chose Drew for several reasons, as it seemed to check off each box individualized to fit my criteria. One thing that sold me was the amazing volleyball coach, Alyssa Broccoli. She has high goals and aspirations for the program while being simultaneously invested in her players and their character. In addition, the opportunity to take part in an inaugural program was another further captivating aspect for me with great room for potential.

As an athlete, the pandemic has definitely interfered with my recruiting process. My club season was cut short, canceling all major tournaments, and my high school season that would have taken place in the fall was postponed until the spring. All recruiting was done with my previous highlight videos from my junior year and it was very nerve-racking. I feared roster spots for many programs I was interested in had already finalized players in my graduation year and position. I relied heavily on emails for primary communication with coaches and admissions officers as well as frequent Zoom calls. I also had the opportunity to visit Drew’s campus three times. It wasn’t the same; there was a lack of the normal amount of students, energy, and general atmosphere. However, I got an actual feel for the school itself and fell in love.

I am most excited to meet new people and start a new chapter. College is an exciting experience, revolving around identity, individuality, and lifelong memories that I can’t wait to be a part of.

As a transfer, it’s never easy to transition into a new environment on your own. I’d like to thank my teammates and coaches at WTHS for being so welcoming and treating me as if I’ve always been a part of the team; especially Coach Marc Boncardo because he convinced me to make the switch and I wouldn’t be where I am today, if not for him and his support. For two years, I versed Washington Township in scrimmages, games, and tournaments, being an opponent competing on the other side of the net. Trading jerseys, I grew accustomed to the cohesiveness, energy, and immense effort that is contagious among the girls on the court at WTHS. The endless support, laughs, and inclusivity established a sense of belonging that couldn’t be any more appreciated.

Lexi Coppola

College commitment: Goldey-Beacom College

Sport: Soccer

Anticipated major/minor: Psychology

I think the soccer program will be a great fit for me. I also like that it’s not far and is pretty small.

I was able to visit, but some of the areas were shut down because of the virus and they can only have one visitor at a time.

Just having a change and new experiences.

Richard Hughes — Although Richard Hughes was unavailable to share his story and experience, he is committed to Gwynedd Mercy University for lacrosse.

College commitment: Gwynedd Mercy University

Sport: Lacrosse

Angelina Saverase

College commitment: Millersville University

Sport: Softball

Anticipated major/minor: Elementary Education

The beautiful campus and the great group of girls on the softball team. There is a beautiful lake in the center of campus!

I was lucky enough to do a ton of visits freshman and sophomore year so I got a good idea of what kind of college I would like. Millersville is the perfect fit! I knew it was the one from the second I got there.

Playing collegiate softball and meeting new friends.

I would like to say thank you to everyone who has pushed me to be the athlete and person that I am today, especially the WTHS Softball Program.

Megan Smith

College commitment: Stockton University

Sport: Track and Field

Anticipated major/minor: Criminal Justice with a concentration in Homeland Security

I felt it was the best fit for me. I fell in love with every aspect and during the first visit; I knew it was the one for me before the visit was over.

I had luckily visited before the coronavirus, so the impact was very small.

I am excited about the new experience.

I’d say thank you to my coaches: Williams, Fraction, and Johnson. I truly believe it is because of the impact they each had on me that I am the runner I am today.

Dani Stuart

College commitment: St. Joseph’s University

Sport: Soccer

Anticipated major/minor: Psychology

I chose SJU because the minute I stepped on campus it truly felt like my home away from home. Everyone was so welcoming, and I knew that is where I wanted to be.

COVID-19 did not have any effect on my college decision. I was already verbally committed by early February and was able to make my choice before the virus took over.

I am most excited to see where my new journey will take me. I want to see how I grow as a person and watch how this next chapter will unfold!