Sophs share perspective

Olivia McGough, Entertainment Editor

The class of 2017 entered the halls of WTHS on Sept. 6 with one-year experience in high school.  No longer the youngest in the building, some students have a fresh outlook on their position in the high school “hierarchy”, yet others feel no change now that they are in their second year at the school.

Conquering their freshman year allows students to experience new programs and activities that WTHS offers. Classes become more rigorous, and students are given more responsibilities. One class in particular that many students look forward to is driver’s education. One marking period of sophomore physical education is dedicated to the students learning the rules of driving, which results in the issuing of a learner’s permit.

“This year is a lot different because we’re learning how to drive which is a new and different experience,” explained Jenna Dean ’17.

Many students already know what to expect by tenth grade when it comes time for try-outs or auditions. Everything WTHS offers has become routine by this point due to teachers and peers who help with the transition. For this reason, many students did not feel much anticipation for the school year.

“In many ways, my sophomore experience hasn’t been any different from last year’s, other than the fact that I was able to walk into school on my first day slightly less apprehensive,” said Sruthi Srinivasan ’17.

As students gain experience in high school, their confidence may grow. Being comfortable with their surroundings allows students to get more involved in activities if they choose.

“I do feel that being a bit higher up in the high school system has given me more opportunity to participate in activites and be outgoing,” added Srinivasan.

The class of 2017 has settled into their place at WTHS, but they will continue to learn and grow as they advance through each grade. These students are now more confident in their understanding of the school, but will continue to have the opportunity to participate and excel in what they choose.