Mr. October, 2018 – Ethan Cheng

What would be your advice to underclassmen concerning high school?

Don’t take high school for granted; you only get so many years in high school so try your best in class, get to know as many people as you can, and do as many things as you can, because it’s your experiences that build you for the future.

What quote best describes your outlook on life?

“If you don’t like the hand that fate’s dealt you, fight for a new one.”

What’s your favorite pick-up line?

You must be a parking ticket, cause you have fine written all over you.

If you could pick anyone besides you to win, who would it be?

Brandon Hickson, because he’s always smiling. He has the most energy I’ve ever seen, and he brings the hype to every dance wherever he goes. He’s a great athlete and student. If you don’t know him already I’m sure it won’t be long until you do.

Why should we choose you to be Mr. Washington TWP 2018?

“That’s a good question.” I feel if I can make someone’s day better and make them smile, then it’s a good day for me. Also I can backflip.

What cartoon character do you relate to the most?

Probably Gary from Spongebob. He’s quiet most of the time, but he’s doing a lot of odd and cool things in the background.  Every now and then he’s the star of the show though.

Childhood aspiration vs. current aspiration?

Doing flips vs. Doing better flips

What is your hidden talent?

I can throw a sour patch kid in the air, catch it and eat it about 110% of the time.

How has the Mr. Washington Township nomination changed your (everyday) life?

Nothing really changed much, just a lot of people asking when their shirts are going to come in.

How do you want to be remembered at WTHS?

A successful student from WTHS who graduated with an outrageous set of skills.

What’s your favorite movie?

Probably La La Land. The directing and the way the scenes were filmed were genius and captured a lot of emotion. The soundtrack is beautiful. Most of all though, the moral of the movie is overwhelmingly relatable, in an attempt to find the fine line between one’s dreams and reality.

If you could change the school mascot, what would it be?

I’ve always thought birds made good mascots, so maybe a dove.

If you could address any issue the world faces today, what would it be?

Probably just a lot of unfathomable hatred. If we could stop going out of our way to make problems with others I think we’d be pretty well off.

If you had the chance, what would you change about yourself?

I would get rid of my fear of heights and how reckless I tend to be.

If you could live anywhere besides the US, where would it be?

Santorini, Greece. I think it’s one of the most beautiful islands in the world with unique housing. Look it up sometime.

What teacher at WTHS has had the most impact on your high school career?

Mrs. Merrill. I appreciate how she always gets us through the long physics lessons, no matter how many times Billy asks E&M questions about hot dogs.

If you could bring three things with you to a deserted island, what would they be?

A solar-powered speaker, and boosted board, and a lot of aspirin because I’d get headaches from being alone and freaking out on an island.

What are your aspirations and plans for after graduation?

Graduate and get my degree from New York University, get married, have two kids, have 3 dogs (the dogs will come before the kids (and also before getting married)), then settle down with a steady job and then make my own country.

If you were a superhero, what would your name and superpower be? What would your greatest weakness be? 

I would be Chengarang, and my superpower would have nothing to do with boomerangs. It would actually be to read people’s minds because information is power, and my greatest weakness would be fried fish because for whatever reason if I eat fried fish I get headaches.

If you could create a class at WTHS what would it be?

Probably a class about logic, reasoning, and decision-making. It would help a lot with how a person approaches conflict.

What’s your favorite animal?

The wolf, though I know the ability to domesticate a wolf is near to impossible within a reasonable amount of time.

If you could have any kind of accent, what would it be?

The French have a really nice accent. I don’t know why it just has a nice ring to it.

What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?

Strawberry.

Describe your dream vacation:

I’m hanging out with my friends, at the beach, and there’s a trampoline on the beach, with dogs on the trampoline.

What is the number one thing you look for in a significant other?

Trust. I’m just going to be honest and say I injure myself doing something stupid every other week, so trust me when I say it’s normal.

Describe your dream date:

On the rooftops of Santorini looking out to the sea in front. The temperature outside is 63 degrees Fahrenheit, with a slight ocean breeze and we are next to a burning fire a reasonable distance away. Charlie Puth is playing the piano within 20-30 feet, and we are sitting down at an oval-shaped porcelain table eating sushi.

Who is your favorite fictional character?

Probably Tadashi from Big Hero 6. He’s the guy looking out for the little guy. I always liked the caring big brother characters.