WTHS recognizes All-State band members

Emily Faust '17

Each year, the musicians of Washington Township High School try out for several Honors Bands available in our region. All chorus and band members have the opportunity to audition and potentially make it into each ensemble.

All-South Jersey Honors Band and Olympic conference Honors Band involve a rigorous audition process and several rehearsals before one big concert hosted by WTHS.

Olympic Conference Honors Band is an ensemble that is for both Junior High and Senior High students. Many Washington Township High School students have auditioned since their sixth grade year. This type of Honors Band involves an audition process that involves things such as memorizing and playing musical scales, a solo excerpt, and sight reading (reading music without prior exposure).

“In Olympic Conference, your scales are on three index cards that have three different scales on them,” Kyle Irwin ‘17 said. “You play each one that you see and after you go on to your solo piece and sight reading.” He explains that this part of the process is the most nerve-racking because it is not something you can prepare for.

Each musician who auditions has a chance to be selected to play in the Honors Band in their specific age group.

All-South Jersey Honors band is a higher level band also available. The Honors Band is more prominent and is an ensemble for any student in South Jersey. The audition process is about the same as Olympic Conference just with more challenging requirements in terms of scales memorized and solo difficulty. Other students from TWP are involved in this Honors Band as well.

With auditions, nervousness is always a contributing factor. Each musician feels a little awkward playing in front of a judicator that they have never met before.

“I’m usually nervous which is weird because I rarely get nervous with auditions and concerts,” Irwin said.  “These auditions are where I overthink things and feel intimidated by other players.”

The only thing most musicians can do is practice for their specific auditions as much as they can. Some even go as far as making up their own scale index cards or having a teacher or friend listen to their solos to have an impartial opinion.

Nicolette Murdock ‘17 says, “I think that this kind of way to audition is so beneficial. Having someone else listen to you is very weird at first, but you are forced to relax and think only about the music in front of you.”

Musicians audition for a variety of reasons. Some students do it for the great experience they have which keeps them auditioning year after year. Others think about their future and see how great it would be for colleges to see their musical potential. Either way, there are a mixture of feelings when it comes to this experience.

Irwin says, “I still talk to people I have met and I remember the lessons I’ve learned from experience as to what to do during auditions.”

Regardless of their reasons for taking part, Musicians draw great pride from success.

“I auditioned for Olympic Conference in my eighth grade year and I felt a sort of accomplishment for making an honors band in middle school,” says Murdock.

Many were happy that they were able to conquer something nerve-racking and come out on top. They were great experiences in terms of the concerts and the challenging, yet fun music being either played or sung. They are also happy about the fact that auditioning opens up well-needed lessons for other experiences in life.

“Auditioning for these bands also helped me with other experiences like job interviews. I felt more comfortable in interviews and I think the auditions I’ve been a part of have helped with that,” says Irwin.

These different experiences with Honors Band auditions help show how important being calm and collected is.

Irwin continues, “Practice in front of someone you’re not comfortable with. It makes the process easier on the day of an audition or a job interview. Just think ahead and stay calm. Always answer the questions asked of you.”

Olympic Conference Honors Band and All-South Jersey Honors Bands have proved to be very beneficial for young musicians. It gives students an opportunity to explore their options in music and even give them a head start in potentially scary situations such as interviews, college events or any other type that involves major practice or rehearsal.

Murdock says, “Being selected in one of these honors bands made me happy and it definitely boosted my confidence in my playing. It helped me get out of my comfort zone a little bit and see how much potential I actually have.”