Dining with honor

Bria Lamonica '17, Editor-in-Chief

Standing up for the national anthem with freshly shined shoes and pride in their hearts, ROTC members prepare for the annual Dining Out.

“I had a really good time, everything was planned out and organized well from the food to the order of events. All the adults seemed to have fun to, and were honored and able to be recognized in a polite and proper way for their services.” ROTC member Mike Pardo ’17 said.

Taking place on November 16th, Dining Out is a tradition held in the freshman cafeteria each year to honor the ROTC members and their families. The night consists of guest speakers, toasts, a catered dinner, and what is known as the “grogging”. Grogging is an annual tradition that occurs every year during Dining Out, where senior members of ROTC bring their own “special item” to place into a giant bowl, and if granted permission, can force other cadets to drink it if they have broken one of the set rules for the night.

Following the traditions and typical proceedings of an actual military-style Dining Out, the high school ROTC students try to copy exactly how the night would be planned out if it were for the military. There is also a tribute paid to honor fallen veterans and those who have served our country, and even a table, the “Prisoner of War” table, that is reserved for fallen soldiers.

ROTC member Shanen Garate ’17 said. “This event is something special that we have every year, and we are very proud of it. We work hard to be able to show our guests and veterans the recognition and praise they deserve.”

Guests of the event include parents, dates, and siblings of the ROTC cadets, special members of the staff, honored guests and veterans, the principals of the school, and even the Superintendent Joe Bollendorf. The guests are served first and entertained by various speakers, and activities that go on throughout the night.

“The night went off without a hitch. The food was excellent, and all the veterans were honored and appreciated the event.” ROTC LG Officer Theresa Arocena ’17 said. “Planning the event with Jenna Williams was an exciting and rewarding experience, ROTC is like one big family.”

Dining Out is just one of ROTC’s many functions held throughout the year. Food drives, fundraisers, and military ball are also a big part of the traditions of the ROTC program. Senior members Jenna Williams and Theresa Arocena were in charge of planning the event, and Core Commander Evan Bittmann ’17 lead the way to a successful, fun evening.