Balancing Activites

Nicolette Murdock '17, Patriot Staff Writer

Life is a very busy thing. We try to fill our lives with activities or events that make us happy. However, sometimes being involved with too many things can be stressful. Seniors in high school can be involved with a lot of different clubs and sports. But even underclassman can be over-involved, not only in but outside of school as well.

There are many things that go on in people’s lives other than school. They could have family problems or money issues and the list could go on and on. Just because someone comes to school with a smile on their face doesn’t mean that they aren’t struggling on the inside. I have had issues with my father and my mother in the past but I went to them and explained how much I was hurting from what they have said and it has made our relationship much stronger.

Everyone has their own issues and their own way to solve it, or maybe they don’t know how to solve it. If you are involved in too much, then take an activity off your agenda. I know this may sound harsh but it might be the best thing for you. It can be more rewarding to increase your role in fewer organizations than to stretch yourself so thin that you feel as though nothing is getting your full attention. That sense of constantly under achieving can be very stressful.

Do not let school difficulties get out of control. If you are having trouble with homework, go to your teacher and ask for help. At first it might be hard to approach them about it, but once you do they will be more than willing to help you.

Believe it or not most high schoolers go through the same problems on the daily basis, it’s just a matter of how you handle it.

If you are freshman and afraid you won’t make it through high school

because you are feeling socially detached, you will trust me. You just need to find your clique and stay with them as long as they make you happy. One great thing about a school this size is that you can find people with shared interests. It may take time but if you are persistent in looking you will find them. You’ll learn quickly who are your real friends and who aren’t, but that’s life.

The people that have issues with your parents, tell them how you feel. Whether it be through a letter, text, email, or person. I recommend the letter option if you can’t get the courage to get up and tell them what is really bothering you. The important thing is to not bottle up your thoughts and feelings.

It is easy to withdraw because of our personal challenges. You may think you are alone but you are far from it. Every issue that I explained above, I have had the same problems.

I have had issues with my father and my mother in the past but I went to them and explained how much I was hurting from what they have said and it has made our relationship much stronger.