Your Guide to NHS

Ashley Bauer '18

As the time to apply for National Honors Society comes to a close, it seems only fitting to reflect upon and share some advice for those looking to apply next year. Unsurprisingly, in high school there is apparently no end to the things you need to apply for, from clubs to colleges. So here are the things I wish I would have known beforehand about the process and preparations required to get in.

First and foremost, work on having foresight. By this, I simply mean to keep in mind your goals for your future. If you are looking to get into NHS or a specific college, look up the instructions or requirements needed to get in beforehand. This way you will know exactly what is expected from you, and you can be prepared for it. There is nothing more stressful than finding out you have to fulfill a major requirement, like leadership as you approach your application deadline.

For NHS specifically, it is very important you meet all the requirements they have specified. To be invited to apply you must have a GPA of at least a 93.0. When filling out your application, it is imperative that you have joined at least two clubs per year, as well as participated in some form of community service.

Which leads me to my next piece of advice, always get involved! NHS and colleges alike are looking for the “full package.” Don’t rely on academics alone to make an impression. Being well rounded is just as important, if not more important in the eyes of potential admissions boards. So, if there is a club you were hesitant to join, take this as a sign. The more you can add to your application, the better.

Another aspect of getting involved, is community service. Although you might not think you need it until you are required to do it for NHS, think again. It is actually an integral part of your application. NHS wants to check that you have been doing community service for all your years at WTHS, so the sooner you start the better.

The great thing about volunteering for service is that most students find it really rewarding. It can easily become something you love to do, especially, if you find a cause that you are personally passionate about.

If you are looking for places to volunteer at, ask around at locations like your church, animal shelters, or even community service based clubs. Lots of clubs like Interact, Project Unify, and Paws are great for completing community service hours and they are conveniently offered right at school.

Something important that you might not have previously considered is leadership skills. Leadership can be demonstrated in both club and community service involvement. The easiest way to insure that you are showing leadership is through active involvement. Whether this be to hold a position on the board of a particular club, or just to manage certain projects that showed leadership skills, they both are applicable and useful for your application.

My one piece of advice for academics is actually something an upperclassman told me when I was in Freshman Transition, the summer before high school. She told us that she wished she had tried harder and had better grades in her earlier years because it is very hard to balance out the weight of that in your GPA later, which is very true. Don’t wait for tomorrow to try your best.

But the most important thing she said, was every point matters. And she was right, it is something I have come back to year after year. It can feel rather tiresome, trying to do every extra thing over one point on your marking period grade, and it sort of is honestly. But all those hard –fought points will add up over the years, and even a single point can make a huge difference in your class ranking. Which is especially important if you are trying to get into an Ivy League school after graduation.

Looking back, I have learned a lot over the years, but most importantly I have learned from my experiences. To everyone who might be as stressed and confused as I was, I sincerely hope some of this advice helps. I know how demanding it can seem to try to balance grades, clubs, volunteering, a job, a social life, and everything else that’s expected of you. But at the end of the day, if you have done your best I’m sure all your hard work will pay off. I wish everyone the best of luck, because in high school, you’re going to need it.