Walk for a cure

Jack Cahill '17, Sports Editor

On Sunday, October 4, hundreds of people gathered in Washington Lake Park to walk. Just to walk. Hundreds of Washington Township High School students shined in their bright yellow T-shirts amongst the throng of over five hundred participants. Smiles gleamed off every face in sight.

The Buddy Walk is held annually as a fundraiser for research on Down Syndrome and to treat and assist those who have the condition. Although the Buddy Walk brings in a large revenue, it also serves to spread awareness about Down syndrome. This event, from 11-2, aims to spread the message as well as having a good time. Families come out dressed in matching shirts to support their mentally challenged relatives. Others come out to enjoy a family-fun afternoon, filled with food, games, and more. The Buddy Walk has many activities, including a giant slide, basketball shooting, baseball pitching, and mini-golfing.

The Buddy Walk enlists the help of Interact members to work each station. For these kids, the Buddy Walk is more than just service hours for a resume. It’s about helping those less fortunate than themselves. Evan Giannini ‘17 worked the Swamper Stomper for the Buddy Walk, which is an inflatable obstacle course in which participants race each other.

“I’ve done the Buddy Walk every year since I was a sophomore. Seeing the happiness on these kids and their families when they finish the obstacle course is the best part of the event. I’m grateful whenever I get a chance to help others,” said Giannini.

The Interact advisors continue to participate in the Buddy Walk each year, not only to help BUDDS, the organization which runs the event, but to teach their members about the importance of helping others.

“I hope the students take away the feeling of accomplishment from helping others. If the students can spread the feeling of appreciation they get when helping people with Down syndrome, they should take it. We hope more people volunteer each year,” said Interact advisor April Renzetti.

The Buddy Walk is a positive experience for all who are involved. This event puts a smile on everyone’s face as they slide down the slide and get their faced painted. In today’s world, community service is seen more as a chore than a pleasure, but the Buddy Walk provides a great opportunity to impact others and make some new buddies.