Continuing the tradition

Minutemen soccer looks to stay on top.

Jack Cahill '17, Sports Editor

The Washington Township boys’ soccer team are in the beginning stages of forming a dynasty. In 2014, the team brought home the state championship. In 2015, even after the loss of three key seniors and lowered expectations, the boys claimed the state title again. Now, in 2016, with the season just underway, the boys are on the hunt once again, although this time, they are the ones with a target on their back. With fourteen seniors graduating, it may seem they are no longer atop the food chain. However, they have no plans to be easy prey.

The first task for this team is filling the holes left by last year’s graduates. Underclassmen have had to step up to fill big roles.

“We’ve brought up many talented juniors and sophomores this year, and we are confident in their abilities,” said John Dalesandro ‘17. Dalesandro, the former first team all-conference, first team all-South Jersey, and second team all-state as a junior, is currently one of the four captains of the boys’ team, along with Alex Levie ’17, Ethan Mueller ‘17, and Ed Rainey ‘18. Goaltender Nick Levie ‘17 also sees the addition of new, skilled seniors as a big plus for the team. More talent can only help.

This team is also sticking to their roots in terms of game plan strategy. “We aren’t doing much differently this year. With the inclusion of so many new players, we have made a few adjustments to bring out the strengths of this year’s team, but it is mostly the same,” said defender Alex Levie.

Even though the routine is similar to last year, the team does not use that as an excuse to not work hard. Dalesandro also wants the team to stick with improving on technical work to be successful. With all of these changes, and a big reputation to defend, the pressure would seem to be on, yet the team does not seem to be fazed by living up to their past.

“We just go out every game and enjoy the experience and have fun doing what we love,” said Nick Levie.

The season may seem overwhelming, especially with many new faces, but the team is not concerned. The team is taking the season game by game.

The team also prides itself on playing together. Individual awards are not on the minds of these players. Each player is focused on playing his best for the good of the team. The only awards this team concerns themselves with are team awards.

“Our goals include improving every game, winning the Olympic conference, winning the Coach’s Cup, winning the South Jersey title, and winning the New Jersey state title,” said Alex Levie.

The team also is determined to keep at least twelve shutouts. Defense is a big focus for the team this year.

With three convincing victories, 5-1 against Lenape, 3-0 over Seneca, and 2-0 against Eastern, and a tight 1-0 loss to Shawnee, the season is off to a strong start. While the team seems to be in the crosshairs of the competition, they do not plan on being an easy kill and haven’t given up on a third straight state title.