Prepping for Monzo

Bria Lamonica, Editor-in-cheif

With the much anticipated dance-a-thon, Monzo Madness quickly approaching, there is much to prepare for the charity event to meet its usual level of success.On Jan. 16 and 17 of the new year, hundreds of pairs of students eagerly gather friends and family members to help them fundraise so they can dance for 18 hours to benefit those who can’t.

ALS is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. The ALS Association collects and raises money to help find a cure to stop ALS and help fund families who take care of a member living with the disease.

Along with organizing the money, groups of students, time and place, announcements, and food and water for the students, Interact advisors Miss. April Renzetti and Miss. Natalie Taylor have much to do to make sure the event goes off without a hitch.

“Our executive board members of the club start prepping for Monzo around Thanksgiving.  They start out by reaching out to local businesses for donations of food, drinks, and prizes.  Then, the chairs of the event, and our Interact Presidents compile donation lists and schedule pick-ups for the donations.” Taylor said.

With eagerness in their eyes and a pep in their step, students all around school are brainstorming creative ideas to fundraise the $100 needed to participate in the dance-a-thon. 100% of the money raised and collected will be going to the ALS Association, which stands for Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig’s disease.

The tradition of donating to ALS through Monzo Madness began when Tracy Navel, the past advisor of Interact who lost two family members to the disease and who organized the first dance marathon.

“ I am really happy to be able to have the opportunity to donate money to this amazing charity, knowing that as well as having a great time and having fun, I will also be helping out those who need it is truly an amazing feeling.” Kaeley Bogan ‘17 said.

The dance-a-thon is an overnight, 18 hour event which includes hundreds of sweaty, smiling, students dancing their hearts out for a great cause. The dance-a-thon has raised a total of $198,000 so far that has been donated to the association.

“Every year Monzo is an amazing experience, and it keeps getting better and better. Raising money for such a good cause by coming together as an entire school really shows how much people want to make a difference. I love Monzo and it is one of the most anticipated events that I wait for during the school year.” Interact Executive Board Member Olivia Mgough ‘17 said.

With cases of water already stacking up, shirts being ordered, students gathering support from family and friends, and hopes set high, the preparations for Monzo Madness are well underway.