German Club

Jack Cahill '17, Sports Editor

Christmas is a time of celebration for many around the world. Christmas trees, stockings, and lights around the house are all symbolic of Christmas. Christmas is also a time for memories. All kids remember leaving out cookies and milk for Santa and staying up as late as you could in hopes of seeing the magical Saint Nicholas. This year, the German club took to the Christmas spirit in the form of gingerbread houses.

On Dec. 16th, members of the German club put on their baking gear and created their own gingerbread houses. Students could bring as many supplies as they saw fit, and got into groups of two to four. “I really enjoy creating these gingerbread houses, especially with my friends,” said German club member Evan Giannini ’17.

The event was hosted by Ms. Jill Graham and Ms. Angela Bacher, co- advisors of the German club. The kids enjoyed a fun filled afternoon, with German food and drinks, and interacting with other members while speaking the language itself. “ German club provides a fun way in which students can speak and learn more about the German language, and I think that is awesome,” said Graham.

Gingerbread houses are fun to build, but sometimes the fun is not being able to build the house, and just seeing what you can do. For those equipped with creativity and skills in architecture, there was something to compete for. The best gingerbread house was awarded first place, and the group members all received a prize. Sophomores Nick Conboy, Andrew Krawice, and Anthony Lambardo took home the first place trophy. They each received three dollar gift cards to Dunkin Donuts and the pride of having the best gingerbread house out of all the German students. “ Just call me king of the gingerbread houses,” said Krawice.

German club is more than just the gingerbread houses. The club puts on many fun events each year, including celebrating Oktoberfest at Collingswood high school, and eating at German restaurants in Philadelphia. The German club aims to participate in the spirit parade at the homecoming game next year, and strives to continue holding gingerbread house contests, eating German food, and exploring the German culture in exciting, unique ways.

“I love German club because it provides a fun way for German students to hang out,” Bacher said, “German students get to learn more about the German culture by playing games, listening to German music, and so on. It is also great to see German students interacting with those not in their specific German class. I love doing the gingerbread house because it is a fun holiday tradition. It’s also great to see the kids make a mess.”

Graham also really enjoys running the show at German club. She is eager to plan and participate in every event.

“ I enjoy running the German club because it helps to promote the understanding of Germany and its great culture,” Graham said, “ I love going to Oktoberfest and see the German tradition come to life. It’s great to see students hanging out with their friends when playing German games and going to German restaurants to eat authentic German food. It really brings the culture to life. German club is hard to run because so many students involved are also involved in other clubs, such as NHS and Interact. Fifty students are currently part of the club, and it was great to see twenty five turn out for the gingerbread house contest. I hope to continue the growth of this club, and strive for success.”

German club is the place to go if students find German interesting and exciting. If students are looking to get more involved, and enjoy foreign language, then this is the club for them.