Friendly rivals at it again

Seniors take the field in one of the most popular traditions at WTHS, the annual Powderpuff Game.

Bria Lamonica, Editor

Every year juniors and seniors go crazy over the beloved game that draws a huge crowd to the stadium, and brings the classes head to head. Powderpuff.  Not only is it one night of thrilling face offs and a two-hour game with our junior and senior boy cheerleaders, it is known to create long lasting memories and friendships.

Between the guys walking around in booty shorts and tights, and the girls going out on the field fully decorated in their class colors, the game annually brings  fans to the stands and grab everyone’s attention.

“It is a heavily awaited event that everyone looks forward to and is just something fun to do and get involved in!” Kaitlyn McGolderick ’15 said.

Every year, Powderpuff  preparations start early. From the cheerleader practices, and the team practices, much time and work is needed to get the event running smoothly without a hitch.

Breslin ’15 said, “The whole fun of powderpuff is the stuff leading up to it. The jerseys, the paint, bonding with your teammates, the practices. It creates memories that we will all take with us all through college and the rest of our lives.”

Whether they are sitting in the stands cheering on their friends, running  the ball towards the end zone, or doing a handstand in bright red tights and a bandana, student feel the tension between the classes during the game.

“I love powderpuff for what it is, just a fun game and simulated rivalry between juniors and seniors,.” Anna Bradley ’15 said.

“It brings each class together individually, while also creating the tension between the two which makes the game so much better,” McGolderick ’15 said.

Powderpuff is one of the most anticipated nights of the school year, and surely it has won over students hearts and become much more than just a game.

“I definitely think powderpuff should continue for years to come. It is an amazing way to bring the class together.” Amanda Kraynik ’16 said. “ I talked to girls I had never met before, and when you go on the field you feel like your entire class is behind you and cheering for you.”