Wrestling team off to successful start

Bria Lamonica, Editor

On December 1st, the Washington Township Minutemen Wrestling Team will begin their season.  With high hopes this year, and many goals set, the team aspires to win a conference title, districts, Regionals, and hopefully advance in the NJ State Wrestling Championships in Atlantic City.

The team has moved into Group V, which is a higher group of athletics than they have previously competed in.

“We will face some very good teams this year. I am looking forward to the challenges and we will work hard to have the team ready to compete.”  Ron Ippolite, Head wrestling coach said.  “I am also looking forward to our success both on and off the mat.”

The team’s last wrestler to place in the NJ State Tournament was Chalie Huff in 2011. The team hopes to advance as many wrestlers as possible this year into the tournament.

Nick Passarella is a returning 2x District XXX Champion, and Mike VanHorn has placed 2nd in the Districts twice, each having the opportunity to wrestle in the Regional Tournament this season. Dom Pataky is a returning District runner up, and Evan Fisler ’17, placed 3rd in Districts as a freshman last year.

Alec Baisch ’17 competed in a few tournaments for Varsity as a freshman, and now is taking up a full position on the team.  “He really did well competing last year, and I’m excited to see him on the mat in a full time role this season.”  Ippolite says.

Joe Gaspari ’17, and John Rinnick ’15 both return to the mat this year after a full year of varsity experience last year. “They will be a big part in the team’s success this year.” Ippolite said.

“I’m looking forward to getting back in the room and having a great season with the team,” Evan Fisler says. “ I believe that our wrestlers will go far this year, and I believe that the whole team should be recognized for their hard work because every single one of us tries to get better every day.”

Typical practices for the Varsity team consist of warm-ups, stretching, running on the track, learning technique, practicing on the mat, and conditioning drills. Ippolite said, “In order to wrestle a six minute match, you have to physically be prepared. We pride ourselves in our conditioning. There have been numerous incidents during my tenure as a coach, where our wrestlers have won matches strictly on their conditioning and have been able to outperform their opponents.”

Expected to place in the state tournament this season are Passarella, Mike VanHorn, Baisch, Pataky, as well as Evan and Kyle Fisler.