Township football team wins over Clearview; moves to 3-0

Maddie Gleason '24, Sports Editor

On Friday September 17th, the Washington Township Minutemen football team defeated the Clearview Pioneers in their first away game of the season. The final score of the game was 30-7, and the team now has a record of 3-0.

The team came out with high energy from the very beginning. On their first offensive drive, senior running back Jo’Nathan Silver scored a 34-yard touchdown to give Township an early lead. Silver kept up his strength throughout the game, making big plays and scoring a second touchdown in the third quarter.

Another key player in the game was sophomore quarterback Jared Dzierzgowski, who scored a quarterback keeper touchdown in the second quarter and only had one interception also in the second quarter. Along with scoring, he also made major plays both passing and running throughout the first half of the game, before leaving the game in the third quarter due to injury.

To compliment the strong offensive line, the defense provided a fierce effort to secure a win for the Minutemen. The defensive line consistently halted the Clearview offense and forced them to punt many times throughout the game. The Township defense only allowed one touchdown during the third quarter. In the fourth quarter, the Minutemen were able to score a defensive touchdown which increased their lead even further.

The kicking group also had a big performance during the game, scoring one field goal out of two attempts and making 3 extra points out of 4 attempts.

“Every time you get a chance to win it’s a bonus,” said head coach Mike Schatzman, who expressed how proud he was of his team on their victory, “I’m happy with the kids’ effort and obviously their win. It’s huge.”

The Minutemen will continue their season next Friday, September 24th away against the Cherokee Chiefs at 6:00 pm.