Varsity football dominates in season-opener

Maddie Gleason '24, Sports Editor

On Thursday, September 2nd, the Washington Township High School (WTHS) varsity football team opened their season against the Egg Harbor Township Eagles. The Minutemen dominated Egg Harbor, winning by a score of 46-14.

Some of the most impactful players of the game included senior RB Jo’Nathan Silver, sophomore RB/WR Logan Perez, senior RB Nah’mere Graves, and sophomore QB Jared Dzierzgowski.

The team was in high spirits after starting the season off with a win, with assistant coach Jesse Cooper saying, “It’s always great when you win, especially the first home opener.”

The Minutemen started off the game strong, with an early fumble recovery by senior Dan Guetens that led to the first touchdown of the night by Jo’Nathan Silver. Quarterback Jared Dzierzgowski followed Silver’s touchdown by scoring back to back rushing touchdowns during the game and gave Township an early lead of 19-0 at the end of the first quarter.

The Minutemen defense also gave a firm effort to resist Egg Harbor’s offense

During the fourth quarter, the Minutemen offense scored three more times at the hands of Jared Dzierzgowski, Nah’mere Graves, and sophomore RB/LB Giuliano Scavetta.

Throughout the course of the game there were performances from the cheerleading team and marching band. During halftime, the marching band went on the field and performed songs for the packed crowd.

“It really shows that the community cares and that the student body cares, and it definitely helps them out on the field,” said assistant coach Carson Shultz about the impact of the crowds that came to support the team during the game.