President encourages involvement

Cierra Bosarge-Fussell, Writer

Student council president Kaitlee Francisco is a friendly and dedicated person. She has set a lot of goals for herself and student council.  How many people actually know what student council president does?

“As class president I work a lot with the executive board members to make sure that our events run smoothly she said. The job keeps me busy, on a daily basis I make homeroom announcements, each Thursday I run the meetings where we all work together to make decorations or discuss ideas for upcoming events! I also make a few speeches throughout the year.”

Francisco got involved with student council as a freshman. Early off she set her sight on presidency. “I grew to love being involved with student council. Becoming president would allow me to use the leadership skills I have to the best of my abilities to help enhance the already existing great events that the school has to offer! “.

Though she knew the job would be demanding she was surprised at how time consuming it can be. “At times, it does get tough to manage my student council duties along with work and school work but it really is worth it!! Even when I get loaded with academic work and student council work…when it comes down to it I can make time for both and still be equally dedicated.

The job has its challenges. “The most difficult thing about being president is definitely organization. Although I am quite organized, being president you have to do a lot of multi-tasking. I find myself constantly making lists of things that need to get done with the executive board or things that need to be announced to the school”

Because being a student its self is a lot of work, with the stress of homework, tests and project, and Francisco admits she can get overwhelmed. She said “At times I do, just because I want to make sure that everything is going smoothly and that everything is going the best that it can’t but I am lucky and very fortunate to have an amazing executive board of 30 members and 2 wonderful advisors that are always working hard to make everything we do go very well!”

She likes to see students make changes in the school She think that it is a great thing just because, sometimes it nice for the students to have a voice. It’s great because students make suggestions to enhance future student’s experiences at the high school. Student’s suggestions are always a good thing to better the high school! Francisco said “If anybody had ideas they can go through the executive board members and they can bring the ideas to me. Or, anybody can be a general homeroom representative. She would love to see more involvement. We hold meetings once a month that they are more than welcome to come to and share ideas and help us prep for events as well!”

As a senior year, Francisco has an eye to her future. Kaitlee response was “I’d like to think that I am an academically sound student! I enjoy being in school not only for the social aspect but the academic aspect as well! My love for school has influenced me to want to become a teacher and pursue that dream in college. Rowan is my #1 choice right now.

For now, the student council president has big plans for the 2014-2015 school year? She said they have already started to plan for our major events such as Homecoming, Mr., our annual dodge ball tournament, and our Senior Citizen Prom. Something new Student Council did this year, along with class council, was make a donation that revamped the outdoor landscaping for the core area. She says it turned out beautifully! We are also adding a Sports Charity event, where we hope to collect donations and equipment for less fortunate children.

Francisco is very thankful for the opportunity to be president .She acknowledges that it’s really an honor and privilege that she was voted into this position. She’s trying her best to make this school year great for everyone! She wants to remind everyone please feel free to reach out to the executive board if they have any ideas! She hopes that everyone’s school year is off to a great start and she wishes everyone the best of luck.