2021 DECA States Competition Preview

Ava Scott '22

This year TWP DECA has qualified for States. States is the second level of competition for TWP’s DECA members. Teams and individuals qualify for States by competing in the district level and placing in the top 10 in their category.

DECA is a student organization designed for Marketing Education students. Members of this organization compete in numerous events at the Regional, State, and National levels. During a competition, students are presented business related cases in which they must present solutions to a judge. There is also a pre-prepared event, where students make their presentation before the competition, then present to the judges.

“Our chapter participates in the competition offered by DECA because it provides real world experience and a business world problem solving arena that cannot be simulated in the classroom. It is also an opportunity to network with other students and business leaders,” stated Mrs. Ackley, TWP DECA advisor.

Typically, students compete in States over the course of three days in Atlantic City, but this year the competition will take place online. States will start the first week of February and  take place over the course of three weeks due to this new virtual setting. During the first week, students will take an industry exam; the second week of February students will view and record their case studies. Then, during the first week of March, DECA will hold their awards ceremony.

DECA member, Casey Torbik ’22 said, “This year has been crazy, and nothing has been normal. I’ve been involved in DECA since I got to high school and it’s been such a wonderful experience. I love everyone involved in the club. It sucks that this year is online. I’m going to miss the fun atmosphere and experience that States contain. I’m still glad to have the opportunity to compete especially in the categories I chose, and I hope I get the opportunity to compete in nationals as well.”

DECA member, Thomas Tait ’22 also had a similar outlook on this year’s DECA States. “This year felt much more ‘unknown’. We didn’t have an in-person competition, just a test, and it felt way more up in the air than last year. I’m super excited. I love the format, and I feel super confident in my preparation for the role-play and test. I have a year of experience now, and I’m ready to apply what I’ve learned to this year’s competition.”

Attached are the list of qualifiers for the 2020-2021 DECA States.

2020-21 district results