College admissions process faces challenges in face of pandemic

The college admissions process has been altered in face of COVID-19.

niche.com

Alexa Fichera '21

College is a bittersweet time in most students’ lives. It signifies the end of childhood and the beginning of the next chapter of a student’s lifeCOVID-19 has created uncertainty and stress for most studentsQuestions like, “How am I supposed to go to college?”, “Am I even going to be allowed to take my SATs that get me into college?”, and “How do I know if I even like their campus?” go unanswered as we all endure the uncertainty of the world we live in. Many colleges have revised their admissions processes to reflect the restrictions put in place to contain the spread of the coronavirus. 

A great example of this is the SAT. The SAT, a standardized test that plays a major role in the college admissions process, is now optional at many schoolsThis is due to the varying restrictions across the country, making it unfair to some students to require they take a test that they may not have access too. Some states have deemed it safe to take the SAT while others are taking a more careful approach to reopening. Despite it no longer being a requirement, many schools will still accept these test scores if the applicant believes that it will help their chances of admission.  

Another significant change to the college admissions process is the lack of in-person tours currently available at most schools. Many prospective students like to take visit the campuses that are applying to so they can make the most informed decision possible. These visits help students see the area in which the college is located, get a feel for the environment and atmosphere, and try and picture themselves on the campus. Most universities have begun putting virtual tours online so students can visit campuses in some form. Tours are expected to resume at most campuses when the coronavirus pandemic is controlled enough in the United States that interstate and international travel does not pose a risk to the universities and the surrounding areas.  

The COVID-19 pandemic has made the college admissions process significantly more challenging and has left students, educators, and universities alike stressed and anxious about the future. From testing and new admissions processes to not being able to visit campuses, there is still much uncertainty that surrounds one of the most important decisions that a student will have to make.