Girls soccer finishes season with 1-0 loss to Rancocas Valley

Members of the Varsity girls soccer team huddling together.

Jake Minnick '21, Writer

After a tough 1-0 loss to Rancocas Valley in the second round of the Group 4 state tournament on Halloween afternoon, the Minutemaids girls soccer season was over. Despite the early exit, the team had another successful year. They finished with a 12-8 overall record, playing a tough schedule in the Olympic Conference American Division.

“The coaching is great,” said forward Amanda Attanasi ’21. “The confidence (coach Katie Sachs) has in every one of us is amazing and the fact that she believes in everyone can be seen on the field by just how well everyone works together.”

Attanasi, widely recognized as one of the state’s top players as a junior, is not the only one who believes that coaching was a big key.

“Sachs knows the perfect balance between seriousness and having fun,” said Isabelle Pingol ’20, who was a key defender. “She pushes us during practices but still manages to make it enjoyable, while leading us to success on the pitch.”

While the seniors and captains had a hand in leading to the success this season, Pingol believes that it revolves around more than just a few players.

“Everyone. Soccer is a team sport,” she said. “Whether it be players on the field that fight for every 50-50 ball or players that keep the team pumped up and encourage everyone from the bench to keep playing their game. Everyone helps everyone, and that’s the way it needs to be.

“Our captains are always showing great leadership during practices and games, but leadership is seen throughout the team. It could be our three captains encouraging everyone at halftime, but it wouldn’t be strange to see anyone on the team stepping up into that leadership role.”

Another key to the team’s success was the environment and atmosphere.

“In the locker room, we were always getting hyped, blasting music and dancing around, releasing those pre-game tensions,” said Molly Kern ’20. “But when it’s game time, we get focused quickly.”

Attanasi agreed.

“The atmosphere is awesome,” Attanasi said. “We are all so close with each other that it makes everything we do 10 times better. Working together as a team is the most important aspect of a team, and that is what we do.

“Individuals can do great things, but nothing can compare to the success that a team will have in the long run.”

While high school soccer can be intense, it’s always great when the fun side of the sport comes out.

“The relationships that I have built from the team are amazing,” Kern said. “From the start of the season when the sophomores and juniors moved up to varsity, we welcomed them as upperclassmen and bonded with them. It is just such a great feeling.”

Pingol agreed that being close with her teammates has made her Township soccer experience that much better.

“The chemistry we all have gave us a step-up on other programs,” she said. “I love how close our team is and how there was never a dull moment when we were together this season, on the field and off when we were bonding.”

The Minutemaids will be looking to improve over the offseason, preparing for a new season that’s right around the corner.