Should you take a gap year?

Joe Campo '17, Editor

The phrase “I’m taking a year to find myself” is usually associated with the free-spirit student, pent full of wanderlust or rage, searching for fulfillment or self-acceptance, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be. There are many different perspectives and opinions on taking a year off before going to college or university. Many people think it could be beneficial, while others believe it could end up causing more problems than it was supposed to alleviate. The accursed/blessed ‘gap year’ is a very poignant topic, especially amongst seniors who are preparing for college.

A popular opinion is that people contemplating taking a gap year feel like they would have a hard time going from 12 years of school, taking a year, and then going right back to school.

“I think it’s not a good idea, at least for me, because if I stopped for a year long hiatus it would be hard for me to get back into the grind,” said Angelo Petrilli ’17. “Also, I just want to get right into it [college] and knock it out quick so I can begin my career earlier.”

The American Gap Association’s 2015 National Alumni Survey showed that 10% of students who take a year off before school will never return.

“I feel like sometimes people mess up by taking a year off,” said Nick DeAngelis’17, “because they say they will go back the next year but some never do. For some people, I think having a nice year off can be a good idea… only if they’re responsible enough to make sure they actually go back when it’s time.”

Perhaps taking a year off for themselves in lieu of going right to college might cause students to forget some important college-level things that they learned in their senior year.

“First of all- if you take a year off from school, 8 out of 10 times you’re not going back,” said Mario Leone ’17, “And if you do go back, you’ll be behind because you’re not going to remember your math work if you do go back after a year.”

Pursuing further education right out of high school has the added benefit of putting students a year closer to their ultimate goals, and having a year more of experience than their peers who took a gap year.

“On one hand you have a good chance to get out in the world for a year and do your thing,” said Tyler Anderson ’17, “On the other hand, you’ll get into your program a year earlier and not miss a step from high school.”

The idea of taking a gap year doesn’t seem good to most people, but most seniors seem to agree that if someone can handle it in a responsible way, and follow through on their plan to go back to college after a year, it can be beneficial.