Making students into STARs

Casey Spencer '17, The Arts Editor

While walking down the halls at Washington Township High School, most students will hear some sort of announcement over the loudspeakers, and with the new 2016-2017 school year underway, more often than not, students are hearing about the many activities at WTHS that they can join. There are various different sports and clubs that are organized with dedicated people to give students the opportunity to make the most of their time in high school.

From clubs that mostly involve creativity to clubs that are strictly business, there are dozens upon dozens of clubs that students can be a part of. For instance, the STAR club (Students Teaching America Responsibly) is a club that is open to all grade levels and focuses on giving back to others in the community.

“It’s a club that helps others outside, not just in school” said child care teacher and club advisor Paula Barakat

Throughout the year, the club organizes various activities that help raise money. Some of those include, fundraisers, bake sales, and various collections for homeless.

“I wanted to start a club that allowed all grades to help in the community fundraisers, various activities, and help others” said Barakat

Their mission statement for the year is as follows: Provide students with positive opportunities for creative thinking, problem solving, socialization, teachable moments, and planning of activities/fundraising events all to help strengthen their daily and long term goals.

Though this is the first time Barakat has served as adviser to a club, the club is working exceptionally hard to organize monthly meetings and monthly charity events. In the coming months, the club has events planned such as a can collection in November, a mitten and scarves donation in December, and socks donation along with a pennies and peace fundraiser in January.

“We want to try to raise money to give back to the students.” Barakat said

With the start of the 2016-2017 school year underway at Washington Township High School, many clubs are starting up again to get their year going. The STAR club is one of the many things that students can get involved in to not only give back to their peers, but also the community.