Our second families

Bria Lamonica, Ediotr-in-Chief

Have you ever stopped to think about how important friends are in surviving high school? The people who keep us sane, who keep us grounded. Often we take the people we love and care about the most for granted, not realizing how much they mean to us and how much we need them in our lives for support and love. The friends we make in high school can end up staying with us for years and years to come, long after we walk off the field after graduation. Lunch outings, shopping trips, college road trips, play dates with our kids, friends are some of the most important people we have in our lives, and friendships are the most important relationships humans can make. They can help us through hardships, give advice, be a shoulder to cry on, and be there to watch us grow.

How do you choose your friends? Do you remember how and where you met the person who is now your best friend, the person who you count on? How you guys connected in such a way that made a lasting impression? Whether it’s similar interests, common hobbies, music, or school that brought you together, we can meet our friends when we least expect it. Walking around in the grocery store giving a girl a smile, not knowing that in 2 years you will have become lifelong friends happens more often than not.

Especially during high school, having strong friendships is so important. We are all trying to figure out who we are, what we want to do with our lives, and who we want to do those things with. Friends can be the persuading text message that allows us to follow our dreams, convincing us to apply for that Ivy League school, write that important college essay. They’re there as someone who can cheer you up on those bad days, push you when you need it, and remind you of who you are. As humans, we are all emotional, dealing with emotions is a big part of high school for all of us, and having someone to share in those feelings and help you cope with them can make the experience a little more bearable.

With all of the studying, schoolwork, and stress that comes along with high school it’s easy to forget the important people in your life. Don’t forget to cherish your friends, let them know they’re appreciated! Spend an hour calling them up to ask about their day, bring them their favorite candy when they’re going through a hard time, don’t take their care and support for granted, think of what it would be like if they weren’t around to help and have fun with. High school sometimes gets us caught up in the little details of getting an A on your history test or making it into National Honors Society, but sometimes we all need a little reminder that our friends are details that shouldn’t soon be forgotten. Go hug your best friend, because friends are an amazing part of growing up.