Over Testing

Cassidy Locke

Every high school student knows the feeling, when you have 5 tests and a quiz you haven’t started studying for and it is 6pm and you still have to do regular homework, eat dinner and take a shower. This weighs down on students heavily especially when there are multiple tests in some of their hardest subjects. So it raises the question: Are teachers over-testing students?

The answer is simple; they are by doing so they are adding ten times more stress to our already busy lives. I know from experience that one day I had 3 quizzes and 2 major tests, one in chemistry and one is APUSH. I couldn’t focus while studying because I knew I had so much more studying ahead of along with doing my usual nightly routine. Both chemistry and APUSH are my two hardest and stressed filled classes and having to study for both in one night seemed almost like an impossible task.

But along with those two huge tests I still have to studying for my three other quizzes that loomed over me.

Many other kids can relate. I hear all the time in classes how they have five tests that day and then tonight they still have to study for two more quizzes. I know that testing is a mandatory thing for teachers, obviously. But there has to be some way to resolve this problem or at least lessen the burden of all these tests in one day.

A way that teachers could resolve this problem is by having a meeting during the day so they don’t have to have a meeting after school or even have a couple bulletin boards around the 9/10 or 11/12 side depending the grade level that they teach and so that way they could plan with each other and they could spread these tests over the week or on a different day.

By doing this not only will be kids less stressed but they will be able to go to bed at a reasonable time instead of staying up till 2 am studying for all the tests they have to next day. This would also allow kids to be alert and awake during school, they won’t be up late studying. Test scores would also go up because they could focus on one test for a longer time instead of splitting 3 tests into two hours and not studying fully for the test.

There are many benefits in teachers scheduling their tests so that they don’t all fall on the same date. If teachers could come together and spread out the different test and quiz dates away from each other students would be able to focus on each individual test and quiz and would be able to earn higher test scores.