Life through a camera lense

Adrienne Brookstein, Editor

High school is very memorable time. People finally come closer to realizing who they are and what they are capable of achieving. Throughout high school one finds out what they want to do with their lives, and the future then lies in their hands. Emily Cross ’16 has nearly finished high school, and sees a future quite clearly for herself.

In her sophomore year, Cross realized what she wanted to do for the rest of her life. She took the class Digital Photography, and immediately knew that this is what she wanted to do. She immediately took action, and fell in love with her surroundings from behind a camera. She recalls that her favorite high school experience was taking that class.

“It really opened my eyes to what I wanted to do for the rest of my life,” she said.

As graduation day is gradually approaching and her future outside of high school is fading into view, Cross is already jumping on to what her future holds in store for her. She is looking into the college, Antonelli Institute of Graphic Design and Photography, which is located in Philadelphia. She hopes to get accepted and create a name for herself. In addition, Cross one day hopes to be a very successful photographer. She wants to work for National Geographic or have her own business and work as a freelancer.

Likewise, Cross is a city girl. Her favorite city is Philadelphia; she loves the atmosphere and the numerous opportunities that arise to snap a photo. Cross recalls that her favorite places are Center City and the terminals. She loves these places because there are so many people to observe and pictures to take. Moreover, Cross’s favorite type of photography is straight. Straight (or Pure) photography is a photo attempting to portray a scene or subject at hand. This is Cross’s favorite genre because it’s different, and exciting.

“I’m very observant in situations that are new to me, and with people I don’t know,” Cross says.

Cross has worked hard throughout her high school career, and right now is focused on things that are most important to her future success: keeping her grades up and continuing her portfolio. Cross believes that the key to success is having determination. She says hard work, ambition, and the desire to make something happen will bring one success.

Cross hasn’t always known exactly what she wanted to do. She was open to exploring different types of arts, such as Graphic Design. Cross says that this was among her favorite classes.

“It was challenging. I got to incorporate my own photos into it and be creative. I got to push myself more,” she said.

She once thought that she’d want to take up a career in photojournalism. Yet now Cross knows that she strictly wants to work in photography.

The future photographer has always had strong support in her dreams. Her mother has always been her rock and keeps her on the right track. Cross says that her mom has always been her biggest fan, and will continue to support her throughout her bright future to come.

Cross’s favorite artist is Annie Leibovitz, a photographer who has worked with many celebrities and artists. She has worked for big corporations such as Vogue, Rolling Stone, etc . Cross truly admires her work and looks up to her as an inspiration.

Cross says, “She (Leibovitz) started from nothing and made something of herself.”

Cross also aspires to reach that same level of success.