Minutemaids Track in Isolation

Zoom+calls+have+been+one+way+the+Minutemaids+track+team+has+stayed+connected.+

Jake Minnick

Zoom calls have been one way the Minutemaids track team has stayed connected.

Jake Minnick '21, Writer

In the wake of the recent pause on the normal routine of life from COVID-19, some are finding it difficult to stay motivated and remain optimistic.

Not the Minutemaids track team.

From team Zoom meetings to group TikToks, the Maids have remained connected with one another at a time when social distancing is a must.

“The coaches and my teammates have done a really great job of keeping in touch despite not being able to see each other in person,” said Maura Keane ’21. “We have weekly game nights over Zoom where we dress up according to the theme and play different games, like trivia. Social media also has played a huge role in keeping us together. Coach Williams will send out challenges and we post them to our Instagram story for the TWP girls track account to repost and share. It’s a fun twist on fitness challenges which keep us in shape and in high spirits.

“(Coaches) send the workouts and activities each day in Remind. They really try their best to work with what we have,” Megan Smith ’21, said about what coaches are doing to adapt to being out of school but keeping their athletes involved.

Smith, like most current high school athletes, is eager to get back on the track to compete in meets.

“I’m anxious to get back. There’s nothing I want more than to go back to my normal,” Smith said – a feeling many of us share. “I would definitely love to be back on the track as soon as possible but I know that everything is still up in the air. I’m hopeful that we can pull together some kind of season, but if not it will just be even more motivation to go out and make some noise the next chance I get to race.”

At-home training is the new norm for the team.

“I do something every day. Workouts, core, yoga, biking,” said Smith

On May 4, the NJSIAA officially cancelled the spring season due to Governor Murphy’s closing of all NJ schools for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year. There had previously been hope of extending the spring season through the summer if schools were to reopen. When asked about this, most shared a similar thought.

“I would had loved if the NJSIAA organized a July season. I miss the meets and racing,” Keane said. “As a junior, this season meant a lot to me for college recruiters, too. I would have loved any opportunity to compete again.”

Jordan Farr ’21, was also open to the idea.

“I would’ve been 100% open to any sort of season we could have. It would have been great to spend time with them [seniors] one last time,” Smith said.

“I was open to the idea. It would’ve been tougher because summer is always busier, but I would do anything for a chance to race again this year.” Added Kate Cochran ’20, who plans to run cross country at Seton Hall. “I had high hopes to squeeze in this last season with my teammates and run new PR’s but I’m overwhelmed with the possibility of having a season that goes into July. That could mess up my training for my upcoming college fall season. It also gives my legs time to relax and build ground mileage that will help me and keep me hungry for bigger and better college goals.”

Nothing can stop these athletes from craving what they love most, competing and dominating on the track. But with a bit more free time now, many have picked up other things to do, too.

“I’m getting to work on things I usually don’t get to focus on as much during the season, which is a huge positive. It has definitely been hard to stay motivated but keeping my mind on new hobbies has definitely helped,” Farr said.

“I think down time has given me the gift of a break,” Smith added. “As a three-season athlete, it’s sports all day every day. It’s nice to be able to work out when I want to, which is still every day, but it still feels nice to have that freedom. I’ve been painting a lot. Anything from canvases to my wall.”

“Believe it or not, there are plenty of positives I have noticed while training at home,” Keane noted. “I have more time on my hands to manage my schoolwork and my training better. I also can go on more long runs, which helps build my endurance and helps keep me sane. I’ve also been able to eat better, too, now that I have time to make myself meals, which of course keeps my body in shape and full of energy.”

In times like these, people are looking up to others for leadership and taking an optimistic approach in order to make it through the repetitive days of online learning and staying at home.

“I’m definitely missing my team and all the fun meets that we would be competing at if not for this pandemic,” Keane said. “It’s sad but I’m lucky that I still have my senior year to look forward to. All of this is just making me even hungrier to do great things next season.”

The theme of staying connected with teammates and friends, remaining optimistic and positive, and staying fit seem to be the focus of the Minutemaid track team in this new normal for high school athletes.