How Are Teachers Adjusting to Remote Learning?

A picture of WTHS teacher Ms. Kaitlin Filipiaks workspace at their home.

Kaitlin Filipiak

A picture of WTHS teacher Ms. Kaitlin Filipiak’s workspace at their home.

Gianna Casella '22, Writer

Remote learning is the new way students are being taught at WTHS after schools were closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition to the challenges that students are facing while adjusting to the new normal, teachers have had to adjust as well. The challenges teachers have had to overcome range from internet problems and schedule issues to the added fear that more of their students are violating the academic integrity policy.

When asked about how she was adjusting to remote learning, geometry teacher Kaitlin Filipiak said, “It was definitely a struggle in the beginning. We are six weeks in, and I think I finally have the hang of things.”

She continued by describing how the act of sitting in front of her computer is one of the biggest challenges she has faced so far. Many teachers agreed that the hardest adjustment is suddenly not seeing their students and co-workers in person.

The fear that students are cheating is a problem that was occurring even before remote learning, but now with the unrestricted internet access, the issue has gotten worse. Spanish teacher Melissa Beaton had to say about this issue, “There is no way to be sure students are completing their own work.”

Another big challenge that teachers have had to face is their normal work schedule being completely disrupted. School now has no set schedule, meaning students get their work done throughout the day, interfering with teachers’ normal schedule. Regarding this issue science teacher Karen Nowicki said, “I try to keep a boundary between work and home, but the line is very blurry right now.”

Although many are struggling with this, history teacher Joseph Rosenello has the opposite reaction to this problem. He said, “My work schedule is now 7 days a week. I don’t mind at all though because I get to set that schedule.”

Remote learning is a big change for students and teachers alike. Fortunately, many people have found things to help them be comfortable and successful during this uncertain time. When asked to provide some tips on getting work done from home staff members had the following advice:

Kaitlin Filipiak: “You have to step away and take time for yourself!”

Melissa Beaton: “Take small steps every day and try not to focus on the long road ahead.”

Karen Nowicki: I’ve found that having a workspace, even if it’s just a countertop that I can spread out on that is a dedicated workspace really helps me focus.”

Joseph Rosenello: “Communication, communication and communication.”