Lending a helping hand around the school

Adrienne Brookstein, News Editor

Adrienne Brookstein  ’18

Washington Township High School is often recognized for its charitable acts and community service. A new organization called “Township Pantry” has recently been founded to  help students all year long receive certain necessities that currently are unavailable to them.

“Some students at the high school deal with the anxiety that accompanies living without the day to day necessities often making it difficult to focus on schoolwork. The school pantry will help give students the resources that they need allowing them to devote energy and attention toward succeeding at school,” shared the creators of this organization.

Ms. Eisa Jackson and Mrs. Heather Petolicchio have recently been planning and organizing the pantry. Ms. Ann Moore, W.T.H.S. Principal, has also been involved with the foundation of this organization, and has truly helped make this idea become a reality.

“Every year several staff members help out families in need around the holidays with gifts and food that work with the Student Assistance Program. Last year, a few teachers really enjoyed the experience so much that they wanted to help out families in need throughout the year, so we talked about ideas,” said Petolicchio.

Furthermore, the idea for TWP Pantry emerged last year during a conversation between Jackson and Ms. Ebony Brown. Both teachers are advisers for the African American Culture Club. In years past, Jackson and Brown have helped families around the holidays by donating food baskets. Petolicchio shared that Jackson is also a co-advisor for Students In Action,  where she works with students regarding community service.

In addition, Jackson and Brown brought the idea to Petolicchio, where it solidified. They were all in agreement that this concept could help the community for the better.

“Whether people know it or not, there are students in our school who are food insecure and have issues with hunger. We want this to help all of these students. We also want to unite our school community. The TWP Pantry will get everyone involved- teachers, staff, and students. We will be requesting donations to our Pantry from students and staff. We want everyone to be engaged in this school community service project,” said Jackson.

To aid their efforts, the organizers are accepting donations such as coupons, food, laundry baskets, reusable bags, and shelving. As the year progresses, the staff will update the school on what is needed for the pantry. A list of donations that will be accepted all year long will be located at the bottom of this article.

Donations can be made to room I-113 or B-13. If people are unable to drop off their donations, please contact Jackson or Petolicchio in order to have your donations picked up.

Similarly, students or staff who know someone in need of the support provided by TWP Pantry can either contact Jackson, Petolicchio, guidance counselors, nurses, teachers, or the administration for a referral. Once a referral is made, TWP Pantry will be able to help that student.

“We are working off of donations and we have partnered with Mother’s Cupboard out of the Washington Township Municipal Building. It is a great partnership, and we are really excited about it,” Petolicchio shared.

Moreover, TWP Pantry will also be helping other students in our community. The operation of the pantry will be handled by students in the W.T.H.S. special education program It will help these students develop functional skills and responsibility through their services. This school community project will get everyone involved at some point throughout the year.

“There is something that everyone can get involved in. If you know of someone who is food insecure or is going through a difficult time and needs the help, please contact Ms. Eisa Jackson or Mrs. Heather Petolicchio,” said Jackson.

Listed below is the acceptable donations that can be given to TWP Pantry…

• Coupons for goods
  • Canned vegetables, beans, fruit
  • Dried beans
  • Pudding cups, fruit cups
  • Crackers
  • Stuffing
  • Gravy
  • Macaroni and cheese
  • Trail mix
  • Powder milks, drinks
  • Pasta
  • Spaghetti sauce
  • Soup
  • Granola bars
  • Cereal boxes +mini bowls
  • Rice-white and brown
  • Mashed/Scalloped potatoes
  • Tuna fish
  • Canned chicken
  • Peanut butter + Jelly
  • Ramen Noodles
  • Oatmeal
  • Ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise
  • Spices (packets for chili, taco, meatloaf, etc)
  • Taco shells
  • Toothpaste
  • Toothbrush
  • Sanitary items
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Deodorant- for males and females
  • Shampoo
  • Conditioner
  • Soap
  • Body spray- for males and females
  • Lotion
  • Chapstick
  • Book bags
  • School supplies
  • Socks
  • Hat, gloves, scarves
  • Make up, nail polish
  • Cotton balls
  • Q tips
  • Shaving cream
  • Baby powder
  • Hairspray + Gel
  • Laundry detergent
  • Dish soap
  • Toilet paper
  • Paper towels
  • Tissues
  • Reusable bags
  • Trash bags
  • Ziploc bags
  • Fabric softener
  • Dryer sheets
  • Dishwasher soap