WTPR boys soccer heats up

“WTPR All-Stars” by Rob Minnick ’17

Rob Minnick '17, Patriot Staff Writer

It was a frigid October night when two Washington Township Parks and Recs juggernauts clashed on field five at Washington Lake Park. New York City FC led by John Reilly 17’ defeated bitter rivals the Columbus Crew led by Luke Molnar 18’ in a 4-3 thriller.

Molnar kept New York City FC on its heels with his counter-attack pace, but Reilly stole the spotlight by scoring a hat-trick for his squad to raise his season goal total to 18.

“He’s the most feared player in the league, and a WTPR god” said Molnar on Reilly, “his pace and skill make him tough to play”.

“But tonight, we just couldn’t find the back of the net, and I’ve been on a cold streak for a while now,” he continued. Molnar started off the season blazing hot, scoring four goals in two games, but has yet to find the net since.

On the complete opposite end of the performance spectrum as of late, John Reilly continues to heat up as the season moves forward. Tonight’s hat-trick came solely from second half finishes. With 18 goals this season, some consider him unstoppable in this league.

The league itself has continued to grow over the years and is a combination of all four high school grades. John is considered one of, if not the top player in the system, and as a senior he has led his team to numerous close victories thus far.

As playoffs are approaching, teams are desperately looking for a way to contain this man, but as tonight proves, John Reilly may be too hot to handle.

Q&A with John Reilly

Q: How Long have you been playing?

A: Since I was about five

Q: How has it impacted your life?

A: Soccer gives me a way to stay active and is a good stress reliever sometimes.

Q: What makes you one of the Premier players in the league?

A: Competition with my fellow players over the years motivated me to get into shape and better myself as a player so I wouldn’t fall behind the curve.

1. Goals for the year for the team?
    1. League championship
  2. Goals this year for yourself?
    1. 30 Goals (currently at 18 with four games left before playoffs)
  3. Was this your best game this year?
    1. Could be, I started off slow tonight but the second half was very strong.
  4. Most feared player in the league other than yourself?
    1. I don’t fear anyone
  5. Most respected player in the league other than yourself?
    1. Brett Dolgos
  6. Do you enjoy playing in the cold?
    1. No, gives the game a different feel that I don’t like, it feels like the game slows down and it’s harder to move your legs.
  7. Perfect soccer climate?
    1. Shorts and Hoodie weather
  8. Why the headband during the game?
    1. Multiple concussions, three years ago and then a few months ago, both from playing goalkeeper. But the second one actually came from a nose ball.
  9. Most embarrassing WTPR moment?
    1. Missing a PK against my rival team a few weeks ago
  10. Motivation to perform?
    1. My good friends Ant Vilotti and Amanda Bowen supporting me at every game have really made a huge difference.