Faces in the crowd:

Freshman gets involved

Bria Lamonica, Editor-in-chief

Stepping up to the 3 point line to make her shot, Freshman Gabrielle Irwin sure has left her mark on and off the court.

Marching band, basketball, swimming, and karate, Irwin ‘18 has already made her mark on the school in her first few months of being a Minuteman at Washington Township High School. As a center and forward on the freshman girls basketball team, Irwin plays a variety of other sports and activities that keep her involved in the school.

“Gabby is one of the most well rounded people I have ever met, she balances her sports and extracurricular activities, while managing to handle her classes and friends.” One of Irwin’s close friends Olivia Tobey ‘18 said.

Beginning in June of her eighth grade year, Irwin participated in the color guard program and competed with the Washington Township High School Minuteman Marching Band during the fall/winter season. Along with being a part of the marching band, Irwin also managed the varsity swim team for a short time in the winter, as well as, practiced karate regularly and helped tutor students after school.

“Gab is an asset to our school and she is really involved. I look up to her for being able to keep on top of her grades while doing all that she does.” Colorguard teammate Cammy Foss ‘17 said.

In her free time, Irwin ‘18 likes to watch movies and hang out with her friends, study for her classes, and spend time with her family. She has been swimming and playing basketball since she was little and hopes to continue to stay involved in sports throughout high school and her life.

“I admire her willpower and talent as an athlete, and she always makes me smile. She is how everyone in high school should be.” Joseph Taormina ’17 said.

After high school, Irwin hopes to go to college and become a neurosurgeon in the city, but “Right now all I[ Irwin] am thinking about is how to throw a shot put so I can join Spring Track.” she said.

Practicing every day after school for basketball, and continuing to tutor her classmates along with staying involved in clubs and her honors classes, Irwin continues to have a full plate in her first year at Washington Township High School.