Dating may not be for everyone

High school relationships. Do they improve your overall high school experience, or hurt it? Many of us have been through the ups and downs of high school, including all the school work, stress, after school activities, friend drama, and on top of that, relationships. Why do we do this to ourselves, add more stress to our already hectic lives? Being a teenager, we all have natural tendencies to lean on others in times of need, as well as just when we feel upset or alone. Being in a relationship in high school is a way some teens can cope with that, as well as the reality of really, growing up. We all have to mature and leave here one day eventually, and dating in high school is a way to remind ourselves early on that it will happen.

According to a recent study by the national teen foundation, 66% of teenagers in high school date or are in a relationship at least once. Also included in the study, a whopping 61% reported to having their hearts broken at one time or another. Can relationships and having someone in your life help your high school career, or ruin it?

Overall, there are many factors to consider. In a recent article about the outlook of teen dating on the national teen foundation website, the author described in detail the survey from students and the reaction overall, that relationships can greatly increase the happiness of the student body overall. Many students in TWP also feel the same way.

“I think they can help or sometimes be a bad thing, but having someone there is just comforting, and it has made my 3 years of high school so far much more enjoyable.” Megan Kenderdine ’17 said

While some will say dating in high school can be detrimental and cause unnecessary stress on the life of a growing teenager, others defend the idea that not all relationships can be a bad thing.

“Having someone to talk to you, and know they are going through the same thing makes high school so much easier to get through and so much more of a better experience.” Kenderdine said.

No matter what your view on this topic is, it defers from person to person. Some need a significant other as part of their daily lives to feel okay, while others prefer to deal with high school and face the wonders of growing up with just friends and peers. We each have a place at the school, and we each matter. Dating isn’t something you have to do, it’s nothing to be pressured about, it’s a personal choice, and it’s up to you and only you. So the next time you see a couple holding hands or feel obligated or pressured to find someone to share your time and be with, think again. It’s not a necessity for high school, everyone’s different.

The Patriot • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Patriot Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *