Master Sergeant Jeffrey Hood aka The New Guy

Theresa Arocena, Commentary Editor

The retirement of Senior Master Sergeant Vincent Stover, who helped formed the Corps almost 23 years ago, left big shoes to fill. However, Master Sergeant Jeffrey Hood is already bonding quickly with the cadets and he’s hopeful that he’ll make a great impact on the Corps. He’s only been in for two weeks (not including the summer volunteer) and he already singing praises. “The kids do everything.  They learn to lead by first becoming good followers. If you can’t be an effective follower, you can never be an effective leader. The two go hand in hand. I am so proud to have served in the Air Force for 23 years, and to be a part of NJ-932!” (SMgt Jeffrey Hood).

• Why did you want to be an AFJROTC instructor?
    To help prepare the cadets to be self-sufficient and confident for the rest of their lives.
  • What’s it like so far?  
    It’s extremely busy & wonderful at the same time.  
  • Did you teach somewhere else previously?  
    I was an instructor in the Air Force for four years, teaching adult students.  
  • Why did you come to TWP?  
    Based on interaction with the superintendent, principals, aerospace science instructors, and cadets, I could tell that this was an outstanding school district.  My wife and I both knew right away that we wanted to be here.
  • How do you like the cadets?  
    The cadet corps is a magnificent group of approximately 200 kids with a wide range of personalities and goals.  Every single one of them is important to me.  

Favorite thing so far about it?  
The daily interaction with the students and the things they say.  Sometimes I laugh all the way home because I can’t believe I’ve been fortunate enough to have landed here.