Changing times

Nicolette Murdock '17

High school is a challenge for anyone that is different. If people do not consider you normal, then you are at a disadvantage. But here is the truth, there is no normal. Everyone is just trying to get by in high school and fit in. That simple fact does not make it any less difficult when others give you a hard time.

Freshman year is a very nerve racking time and it is a huge change from middle school. You aren’t sure if you and your old friends are going to still be friends or just lose touch because of the timing. I found out early on who were my true friends and who weren’t by entering freshman year.

As a senior my fear of not fitting in has faded, but I think everyone deep down always has this fear. My freshman year was tough considering I was much different than other students. For the people that do not know me, I have cerebral palsy on the right side. This has been a great challenge for me but it hasn’t stopped me from doing anything I wanted to do or participate in.

I have been an active member in a club here in township called Project Unify for the past three years. It has been an amazing ride being involved and trying to unite students who have disabilities with people who don’t.

People get so involved in their own lives and don’t realize that there are others that have severe disabilities and don’t have that many friends because of how different they are. Yet they are some of the most kind hearted and accomplished students I know.

As I mentioned before it is a hard time fitting in but that is a fact of life. Sometimes in desperation for help we tend to gravitate towards someone that brings the worst out in us. Every person that you meet that you don’t get along with or they decide they want to judge you for your past, they teach you a lesson. The lesson could be anything from you shouldn’t be friends with someone like that ever again or they might teach you something about yourself.

Every person you meet has a meaning, whether it be that they were there for you for a short amount of time or they taught you how to be a better person and enjoy life more. Be thankful for every friend you ever had because even if you are not currently getting along with them now they meant something to you at one point.

Nothing is easy in life, high school maybe the hardest part your life now, but that is a small portion of your life that will lead to better things in the future. As long as you get through high school there is a whole world of doors waiting to be opened.