German Exchange Follow Up Feature

Constanze Stier was beside herself. Each time the doorbell rang she would jump up and race to the door dressed as a zebra, complete with face paint and an outfit she had worn to school that day.  She wanted to be a part of the Halloween festivities. This is her first Halloween. This is her first time in America. She is a German/American exchange student.

Twenty American students and twenty German students came together to promote their different cultures and also their separate lives on October 22. Nobody at the start of the exchange knew just how fun it would be to be a part of an opportunity like this. These students also didn’t know just how hard it would be to leave each other at the end of the life-altering two weeks.

At the start of the exchange, kids at Washington Township were nervous to say the least. “Although I had talked to Felix (my German exchange partner) beforehand, I was still nervous about meeting him in person,” says Alex Levie ’17.

The German students were driven from the airport to the high school to be picked up by their exchange partner. TWP students and their families were able to converse with each other before their partner arrived. “I was so nervous,” says Kaitlyn Vitzhum ‘18. “When we met though, Johanna was awesome around family and friends so I became less nervous.”

It took a day or two for the two groups of students to get used to each other and their different styles of living, but once they did, each pairing became inseparable.

“We became best friends,” senior Seana Cleary said. “I felt by the end of the exchange that we were more like sisters.”

During their stay in Washington Township, the German and American students were able to participate in many different activities. Each student was adamant about experiencing what their partner’s everyday life was like. The homecoming dance, game, and Spirit Week were just some of the events each German had a chance to be a part of. “Homecoming was so much fun this year. It was cool to see my exchange partner react to it because they don’t have these things in Germany,” said Cleary.

Homecoming wasn’t the only thing that the students responded to.

Levie said, “We did so many things while Felix was here. We played soccer, went to Ocean City, went out to eat, went shopping, played arcade games, and hung out with other people.”

Even the students at Washington Township were excited to see others from a different country. The priority of the exchange was to link different cultures together which definitely worked during those two weeks.

“I can’t tell you how many people said ‘I wish I had a German!’ It’s a very different experience that not many people get to have.” said Vitzhum.

As much fun as it was to have this amazing opportunity take place in Washington Township, it sadly had to come to an end. The German students hesitantly packed their bags and said goodbye to America and their new families. The kids were excused from third period to see off their partner. It was a sad affair, full of tears and hugs. “I was so sad that day,” said Cleary. “I couldn’t hold back my tears for the rest of the day after Svea left.”

“I fought off my tears all day. I don’t cry often so Johanna knew something was wrong.” said Vitzhum.

Some pairings had different reactions. “It was upsetting when Felix left, but it wasn’t the last goodbye,” Levie states. “I think people shouldn’t cry because the exchange is over. They should smile because it happened.”

The farewell was bittersweet, but the students combat that by keeping in touch. Levie says, “We text and snapchat often.”

“We have a group chat where all of us can still communicate. I talk to my partner every day.” says Cleary.

The kids are really looking forward to traveling to Germany in the summer of this year to finish the exchange as well.

“I’m so excited! I want to have the experience of living with a German family.” said Ryan Peterson ‘17.

“I’m looking forward to seeing all of the students again and experiencing German culture.” Levie says.

The exchange let the students fully reflect on their time with their partners and how they have grown from the experience. Each member recommends another exchange be done in the future.

“We aren’t exposed to enough cultures so I think it’s super important to experience them.” says Cleary.

“I loved everything about this exchange. It was lots of fun and I made a lot of new friends. It’s an experience I will never forget.” says Levie.

Vitzhum reflects, “It’s weird to think that I didn’t want to do this program in the first place. It’s the best experience I’ve had so far.”

Peterson agrees. “I’ve learned that you can connect with people no matter where you’re from.”

With the positive outcome of the German/American exchange, the members are hopeful that there are more in the future for Washington Township. It was an experience that will truly be remembered forever.